Chapter 2: The Barbecue

June 16, 2021
Location: The Highway to Simi Valley
Tony's POV

Tony couldn't get his mind off Layla. Her asking him if she could come over for dinner threw him off big time. Tony had rolled down his window, letting the wind blow into the car. He rested his elbow on the door as he continued to think about Layla while he drove.

"Why did she randomly ask me if she could come? Of course I don't mind, but why? She's never done something like this before. Is it because she found out my parents are dead? Or maybe it's something more."

Tony stopped that thought. Of course he liked Layla, but he didn't think it was good for the team for him and Layla to start dating. Plus, he could never tell her he liked her. He was brave, but not that brave.

"Maybe I'm just overthinking it. I doubt Max or Sarah will care if Layla comes over anyway."

Tony stopped mid thought again when two of his friends crossed his mind. Max was more than likely going to get the wrong idea about Tony and Layla. He was Tony's best friend, but he really wanted Tony to be in a relationship so badly for some reason.

"I need to explain to him Layla and me are nothing but friends."

When that thought crossed Tony's mind, it hurt his heart that he really didn't mean anything to Layla except as her friend.

"There's no way she likes me back anyway."

Tony sighed, finally noticing that he had made it to Simi Valley. He sped up the rest of the way home, avoiding the spots where cops usually are. Tony had been arrested before, but he was trying to keep his record a little cleaner now that he had been working for a secret agency. When he arrived at his house, he made sure to text Layla his address.

Tony: 'You said you need my address, right? It's [Address name] in Simi Valley. Oh, and don't worry, you're not the only girl that's coming. My friend, Sarah, is coming and my best friend, Max, will be too. See you soon.'

As Tony started unlocking his door, he started texting Sarah that Layla would be coming over.

Tony: 'Hey, so one of my racing friends is coming over. You're not going to be the only girl now.'

Tony loved giving Sarah a hard time for being the only girl. She was 17 and Tony's known her for most of his life. Jake, her father, was Tony's father's military friend when he was alive. After Tony's father was killed, Jake tried to take care of Tony. Although Tony disappeared about 3 months after his parents were killed, Tony respected Jake and considered him someone who would take care of Tony, even if he didn't want that care. Sarah answered Tony right away after he texted her.

Sarah: 'Good. I was tired of being the only girl. Are you sure she's only a 'friend' though?'

Tony could feel his cheeks getting warmer as he texted Sarah back quickly.

Tony: 'Yes, I'm sure. Didn't I tell you to stay out of my love life?'

Tony threw his phone on the couch after he went into the house.

"Dammit. If Sarah is already giving me a hard time about Layla, I can already imagine what Max will say."

Tony grabbed an energy drink off the counter in the kitchen and took a big sip of it.

"I don't need to be drinking beer yet. Even though it sounds so good, I need to stay sober to cook these steaks."

Even though Tony was 19, he had already been drinking alcohol. Tony really didn't have any respect for the law. The only problem was that Tony couldn't be drinking as much now because he was working for a federal agency.