Chapter 4: Mission Details

June 24, 2022
Location: The Plane Garage
Layla's POV

Today was the day when the crew was taking off for Russia. Everyone was at the garage except their bosses. The crew piled their stuff on the center table. Echo, Cisco, and Frostee were sitting on one couch, while Tony and Layla were sitting on the couch across from them.

Echo, Frostee and Cisco were whispering to each other about something, while Layla and Tony were staring at their phones. Layla took a glance at Tony. He had his headphones in and was staring at something. She noticed that Tony looked very tired. I wonder what's been keeping him up at night. He was like this last week too.

The crew didn't hang out with each other as much as they used to. Mainly because Tony was the one who always invited everyone to hang out, but lately, no one hears from him anymore.

Layla continued looking at some racing news, sitting in silence until someone came running in, breaking the silence.

"Tone!" Max, one of Tony's best friends, came sliding in. "I need to ask you something!" Max flat out yelled, making everyone jump.

"What do you want? And how did you find me?" Tony groaned, taking out his headphones. He didn't look too thrilled to see Max. Layla wondered if his patience was short because of not sleeping.

"I asked Jake where you were off to and how long you would be gone. This is like a major important question."

Layla looked over to the other three. They were exchanging questioning looks with each other.

After a few seconds, Sarah came walking in. "Sorry, Tony. I tried to tell him he should just text you, but he insisted on coming here." Sarah rolled her eyes at Max and looked at the others. "Hey, sorry to burst in on you guys like this. My name is Sarah, and this is Max. We're Tony's friends."

Realization swept through the crew's faces as they looked at Tony while he was glaring at Max for bothering him. "What? Anyway, what's the question?" Layla could tell that Tony was annoyed with Max right now, and she couldn't tell why.

"So, hypothetically, if a vehicle was having a delay when starting it, what would that mean?"

Tony thought about the question for a minute before answering. Layla had an idea of what the problem was, but she wasn't completely sure. "Well, it would most likely mean that the battery is going out."

"And what if, hypothetically, the battery meter on the dash said that the battery was still charged?"

Tony narrowed his eyes at Max while he was biting his lip nervously. "Then the engine has a problem within it. Why are you asking?"

Max gave Tony a nervous smile and looked scared to say anything else about the problem.

"Maxwell, what the hell did you do to your truck?" Tony said in an ominous tone while Max grabbed Sarah and put her in front of him.

"Look, it wasn't my fault! The oil light came on, so I decided I would try to change the oil. The stalling started happening afterwards."

Tony gave Max a death glare while Sarah held her hands up and tried to get out of Max's grasp, looking back at him. "You just signed your death warrant."

"Maxwell..." Tony stood up, cracking his knuckles as he walked towards the two. Layla looked at the three across from her as they stared at Tony in horror. "I just fixed your damn truck and now you're telling me you jacked it up again?"

Sarah moved out of Tony's way as he grabbed Max's collar and pulled Max towards himself. "Max, do you understand how much time I spent fixing your truck the last time?" Tony asked, his eye slightly twitching.