Chapter 5: Stakeout

June 25, 2021
Location: Moscow, Russia
Layla's POV

Layla and Tony arrived at the park where the right-hand man of Yakovich, Anton Ivanov, was reported to be seen. The two wandered around the park in silence until they found Ivanov. He was feeding the birds that were still around for the winter.

"Guy must really like birds."

Tony concluded. They kept their distance from Ivanov so he couldn't hear them. Tony leaned against the tree they were standing at, and Layla stood beside him.

"It's winter here. Birds aren't really around. Bet he just wanted to see the birds that stuck around for the winter."

Layla glanced over at what Tony was looking at on his phone. He had taken pictures of Ivanov's profile and was reviewing them. He put his phone up and looked at Ivanov without making it obvious.

The birds that Ivanov was feeding flew off. He got up and was just about to walk down the path. But before he did, he turned his head and looked Layla dead in the eyes. He started walking towards them.

"Tony, I think we've been made."

Layla whispered. She wasn't sure what to do. It would be obvious if they started running that they were spying on him, but if they stayed, then he could question them and get a good look at what they look like.

"Just follow my lead and don't resist."

Tony whispered, making some kind of move.

"What-"

She couldn't finish her sentence as Tony grabbed her wrist and closed the gap between them. She was completely shocked as Tony kissed her on the lips.

"Whoa?!"

Layla was wide eyed but got a glimpse of Ivanov. He stopped and turned. He put in hand up on the side of his face and walked away. Layla understood now what Tony was doing. He was making it seem like they were just two lovers enjoying the park.

Layla eventually relaxed and actually returned Tony's kiss. His grip on her wrist loosened. For some reason, she slide her wrist out his grasp and entangled her fingers with his. She could feel the sliver ring around his middle finger. His hands were slightly rough, probably from all the mechanical work he has done on his car.

"Am I actually enjoying this?"

Tony pulled away and looked at her. His face had turned red, but he kept his composure. He glanced at Ivanov walking away. Hopefully, he thought that Tony had just confessed his love to Layla and didn't suspect them.

"I guess we'll let him get a little farther and then start following him again. We need to keep our distance though."

Layla was still in shock at Tony and barely heard what he said. He slipped his fingers out of hers and started walking away before Layla grabbed his wrist and stopped him. He tried not to look back at her, but his face was already extremely red. She could feel that hers was really red too.

"My turn to surprise you, Toretto."

Layla put her hands on his cheeks and kissed him. It was gentle and short, but that's all Layla truly wanted. She wanted to feel his rough lips on hers again. As Layla pulled away, she smiled slyly at him.

"That's what you get for surprising me."

He stared at her in shock. The same thing was probably going through his head as it did Layla. He blinked once or twice, trying to understand what Layla just did. She grabbed his wrist again and started dragging him.