Chapter 1: New Mission

June 16, 2021
Location: Layla's Apartment
Layla's POV

Layla was stirring her mac n' cheese when there was a knock at her door.

"Hm? Who could that be?"

Layla said out loud as she turned the stove down and walked over to look out the pep-hole in her door. Who she saw wasn't who she was expecting. She quickly opened the door to reveal her older brother, Bryan.

"Bryan! What a surprise!"

Layla gasped as she hugged her brother.

"Long time no see, sis."

"Come in. I was just fixing lunch."

Bryan hugged Layla tight before she broke away and motioned him inside, closing the door behind him.

"Nice place you have here, sis. You got good taste."

Layla laughed as she looked around her barely decorated apartment. She didn't have very much, not because she didn't want to get anything, but because she didn't have the money for it.

"It's alright. I don't really have that much."

Layla went over to the stove as Bryan took a seat at the dining table. She began to stir the mac n' cheese before her brother spoke.

"Who is this?"

Layla looked over to realize he was staring at the picture of Tony and Layla hanging out on their cars. Layla quickly ran over and snatched the picture out of her brother's hand.

"No one. Just a friend"

Layla tried to cover up. Bryan raised an eyebrow, unconvinced of who Tony was to her.

"Alright, whatever you say."

Layla sighed and went back to cooking. After the food was ready, Layla poured some into two bowls, one for her and the other for her brother. She walked over and put the two bowls on the table.

"Lunch is served."

Layla smiled at her brother and sat down. As they began to eat their lunch, the two siblings started some small talk.

"So, how has life been in L.A?"

Bryan asked with a mouth full of mac n' cheese.

"It's been interesting."

Layla answered after she swallowed her food.

"Did you finally get away from that guy that treated you like crap?"

Layla figured Bryan was probably talking about Shashi. She did tell Bryan about what Shashi did to her, but she didn't think that he was going to take it that far.

"Yeah, I met some people who arrested him and let me join them instead of arresting me."

Layla started giggling a little, thinking about the irony of Tony and what he did to save her, from both Shashi and Rafaela.

"Well, that's good. I was afraid coming here was going to end very badly for you. I guess I was wrong."

The two ate in silence for a few minutes before Bryan popped off something that took Layla by surprise.

"So, you interested in any boys yet?"

Layla choked on her food, chugging some water she had brought to the table.

"Why would you ask something like that out of the blue?"

Layla said when she recovered from choking. Bryan shrugged with a smirk.