MSMC Bk 4 - Chapter 16

Chapter 16-Claire is the new cook!

Rooster's POV

Around 2 pm, we took Sammy down to stay with Millie and Doc while Dixie and I went to the diner. Dana had told me she would be getting off of work at 3 pm so we wanted to be there in plenty of time before she got off. I had talked to Dixie about bringing her into the club house and she was in agreement.

"Claire is your sister, Rooster. She's blood family. Of course you should bring her here so that we can protect her. If the Cobras are after her, she's not safe staying anywhere else. I feel kind of guilty that I didn't approach her when she first showed up." Dixie said.

"Well considering she doesn't look anything like me or my mom really, how could you have known who she was? Hell, I didn't even have a clue until she did that little twitchy nose thing and then she made that tisk-ing sound. Hell, I nearly fell over. But now that we know, we need to let her know that we are actually blood and that she can come stay with us and that we will keep her safe." I told Dixie as we mounted my bike and left the club house.

It was good to be able to ride my bike with Dixie behind me again. We don't get to do this much anymore since she got pregnant and had Sammy. I needed to make more effort to make sure to take Dixie out more. I know she loves riding behind me and it felt so good to have her arms wrapped around me and leaning against my back like this.

We pulled into the parking stall in front of the diner and got off. It was still cold outside, so we hurried inside where it was nice and warm. I waved at Dana and looked around for Claire but didn't see her. Dana came over with a coffee pot and two cups in her hand and as soon as we were seated, she poured us cups.

"Hey, Dixie! Rooster! Welcome home. I heard you were out of town. How was your trip?" Dana asked.

"Too long but thankfully mostly uneventful except for Annalisa's father getting hurt. He's going to be okay but she and Eagle stayed back to wrap up some family business. Crusher stayed there too because he found his woman while he was there. She'll be coming back with them in a few weeks." I told her, then asked "Is Claire still here?" I totally missed the look on Dana's face when I mentioned about Manuel getting hurt and she covered it well.

"Yeah, she's in the kitchen. That girl can cook like a professional chef! I may have hired her as a waitress but if she's willing, I'd like to give her some time in the kitchen, maybe one or two nights a week to give Benny a break and have her make some different specials to bring in more business." Dana said.

"You may have to stand in line, Dana. We've been looking for a cook for a while now. I've been doing it for years before I had our son, Sammy but I just can't keep doing it. Nessa and Annalisa, when she's here, are doing what they can but they are not used to cooking for such large groups. Plus Annalisa found out she's pregnant again so it won't be long before she can't do it anymore either, when she gets back. We're also looking for kitchen workers to do prep work and clean up." Dixie said.

"Well, I'll keep my ears open. I'll send Claire out. She's due to clock out soon but she usually eats before she goes home. Can I get you guys anything? Claire made some really good Apple turnovers earlier." Dana said.

"Yeah, that sounds good. Bring us two of those." I grinned at her. Dana had long ago discovered my sweet tooth. Plus it would give us a chance to sample Claire's cooking.

Dixie and I sat and chatted while we waited for Claire and our desserts and didn't have to wait long. A few minutes later, Claire came out with our desserts, her BLT and fries and an extra cup on a tray along with the coffee pot.