MSMC Bk 4 - Chapter 21

Chapter 21-Cobras attack the compound

Claire's POV

I woke up this morning with slight cramps and when I went to the bathroom, I discovered why. Normally starting my cycle depressed me but this morning I was happy about it. Doc said I could get the shot anytime during the first 7 days of my period and I was going to go see him today!

Everyone had enjoyed my dinner last night and had praised me over and over again. There hadn't been a crumb left of anything. Even the pan with my vegetable medley had been scraped clean.

Circuit and I had spent some time cuddling on the patio under the stars. The hugging and kissing and touching had gotten hot and heavy until some of the guys came out to smoke and we ended up visiting with them.

I got my shower and hurried to get dressed, then made my way downstairs. The coffee pot was almost done, thankfully. I set the oven to preheat then pulled my dough for the turnovers I was going to make this morning out of the fridge to warm a bit while I poured myself a cup of coffee and drank enough to give me a slight caffeine jolt to wake me up. I'm not a big coffee drinker but do need a few sips in the morning to get my motor running.

I began preparing my filling, thankful to Marley who had told me about the apple peeler they had in the pantry. Once the apples were all peeled and cored, I sliced them really thin using the mandoline and put them in water with a bit of lemon juice to keep them from browning while I worked. A lot of recipes call for cooking the apples first but that only needs to be done if you slice the apples thicker than what I do. I just add more layers of thinner slices of apples so they melt in the mouth. That was another trick the chef at the restaurant had taught me. Once that was done, I began rolling out the dough.

Thank goodness for this large granite countertop. I could roll a long sheet out and then cut it into squares and then lay the apples and butter pats, sprinkle them with brown sugar and cinnamon, then fold the tops over and wet the edges to seal them and put them on cookie sheets, brush a little beaten egg over the tops to bake and popped them in the oven and set the timer.

Once I had made enough for everyone to have at least one, I moved on to cleaning up that mess and then starting the rest of breakfast. A foil pan full of bacon, another pan of sausage links and one of scrambled eggs. I really wanted to get some fresh fruit but it's still kind of early in the year to get stuff that is good and ripe except for maybe banana's. I couldn't wait for strawberries to come into season. The stuff I had seen at the store the other day had looked pitiful.

Circuit came in and wrapped his arms around me just as I was dishing up the last of the scrambled eggs. "Good morning, my love. Did you sleep well?" He asked.

I turned to look at him with a big smile on my face and nodded. "I woke up to find out that I started my cycle this morning so I'm going to see Doc later today." I couldn't wait to tell him and I wasn't disappointed at the look on his face as a huge smile broke out.

"Oh goodie. Maybe my dream last night is going to come true soon!" He teased as he wiggled his eyebrows at me then kissed me on the end of my nose. He topped off my coffee when he poured some for himself then sat down at the counter to watch me while I finished up then helped me carry the now full pans of food out to the buffet line. He lit the sterno cups and then made us a plate of food each. I was enjoying this time of the morning the most because it gave us time to have a meal together alone. Granted it was at the kitchen counter but we sat close to each other and just enjoyed being able to talk when we wanted to and not if we didn't or if we were busy eating.

"Can I come use your computer today to order some things I want to make for meals? I want to find some place where I can order whole plaits of farm fresh eggs instead of these store bought ones. Farm fresh eggs are so much better than the stuff you buy in the stores. Do you think Rooster would let us have chickens? And maybe a vegetable garden? We've got the land for it, why not use it?" I asked.