MSMC Bk 4 - Chapter 24

Chapter 24- Time to go home to Texas

After Helena and I left Carmella's room, we went over to our room and she helped me pack up the things I had bought today. I left one of the new dresses out as well as some new underwear for tomorrow. I decided to pack the extra suitcase that my father had bought with two outfits for all three of us as a "travel bag" so that we wouldn't have to cart so many suitcases to the hotel rooms. We knew we would have to stop over at least once during our trip back but there was a good chance it might be twice so it just made the most sense to have only one bag to have to haul around besides Carmella's diaper bag.

Once everything was ready to go, we sat down on the bed and talked for a while. I was going to miss Helena so much. We had always been close but I think we had gotten even closer since Isabella was no longer in the picture.

"Do you think you are going to be able to come back for our wedding?" Helena asked.

"Oh, I'm sure we will but I think I'm going to fly up and not try to drive it again, so long as the doctor's don't prevent me from flying. Two days sitting still in a car is not easy and I've got a feeling it's going to be even harder when I'm bigger than I already am." I admitted. "Plus my doctor here said I should count on having to go on bedrest when I get to 7 months which I will be very close to by the time of your wedding."

"Maybe we should come there and have our wedding. Heck, Greggory and I don't have anyone here, so it would only be household staff really that will be attending besides your father. Greggory and I do so want you to be there." Helena said.

"Oh, that would be great! But we are already due to be up here to build Kevin's cottage. We can't be in two places at once." I told her.

"Oh yeah. I forgot about that. I would say we would postpone but I already can't wait to be married to Greggory. We have cared about each other for years but never really acted on it because we didn't want to lose our jobs. Then when I got fed up with Isabella, I talked to Greggory first and that's when he admitted that if I went, he was going to go too. Please don't tell your father that.

I know he depends on Greggory so much and it would have been like a kick in the teeth for him to have Greggory just walk out. I hated doing it as well but I was beginning to think you would never come back and I just couldn't take any more from her. It was kill her or quit so I was prepared to quit because I really didn't want to go to jail for her murder." Helena told me.

"Well, I'm glad that you finally brought it to Daddy's attention to what was going on. I think he had suspected she was cheating on him for a long time and to be honest, I don't think he really cared anymore.

They never loved each other but Daddy felt bound by his vows in church so instead of confronting her and dealing with it, he just buried himself in work. I hope now that she's finally gone, he will slow down a bit and find someone to spend his golden years with and enjoy his remaining years, instead of burying himself in his company. Tell me something, if he decided to relocate to Texas, would you and Greggory come with him?"

"Of course. If he relocated there permanently, I'm supposing he would sell this place. This place is going to be too big for just him alone. Hell, it was too big for him, Isabella and Joel as it was. Isabella was the one who insisted he buy and keep this place. She wanted the prestige of living in a mansion.

He could keep Joel's condo here for when he needs a place to stay when he visits the corporate offices but he really doesn't need all of these rooms. The only time we've ever even come close to being full up was when Rooster and the others were here. Otherwise, those rooms are just kept closed up and only cleaned about once every three months or so and that's just dusting and vacuuming to keep it from being too much of a chore when people do come to stay, which has always been a very rare occasion." Helena told me.