MSMC Bk 4 - Chapter 18

Chapter 18- Circuit's past nearly ruins things with Claire

Circuit and I played 20 questions until it got too cold to be outside any longer so after a while we came back inside but didn't go back to the bar. Instead I told him I wanted to explore the kitchen some more and see what I have to work with for breakfast in the morning. He wrote things down that I was going to need from the store before I would be able to make dinner tomorrow night and he agreed to take me shopping in the morning.

I found the ingredients I would need and decided to make some cinnamon buns that would need to rise for a bit and while I worked, we continued to play our game of 20 questions. We learned a lot about each other including all of the silly things that couples who have known each other for a long time know, like favorite colors, movies, music, food, etc.

He turned on the radio in the kitchen and as he turned the dial, he came across a country station and I began to sing along with Reba McIntire singing "Somehow you do". As usual, I didn't pay attention to what he was doing as I got into the song. I was just kneading dough, then rolling it out on the floured countertop as I sang, forgetting that anyone was in here with me.

When the song finally ended, I lifted my head and realized that not only was Circuit in there but several other people were standing there with their mouths hanging open but after a second, they all began to clap loudly.

Nessa came over and put her arm around me and said. "Damn, girl. I thought someone had left the radio on in here and I couldn't have been more shocked when I opened that door and found out it was you. You have got some pipes on you! Have you ever considered singing professionally?"

"Tried that. Ended up with these and a bunch of false promises." I said, pointing at my boobs. "Besides to be a big star, you have to be able to write your own songs or have someone write them for you. Copying people is only good for karaoke."

"Well, you can sing for us anytime." Nessa said and looked over at Dixie, who winked at her.

"What are you making, Claire?" Dixie asked as she waved all the men out of the room, letting it be known that it was now going to be ladies time. I was rather disappointed that Circuit was told to go and followed the men back to the bar or to go on to bed by Dixie. No one argued as Rooster said "Don't stay long, babe. I'm going to go check on Sammy and get my shower."

"Okay, babe. I don't think we'll be long. Mostly meal stuff." Dixie said. As soon as all of the men were gone, Dixie asked. "So getting used to the kitchen?"

"Yeah. I thought for tomorrow I would make some cinnamon buns. I'll wrap them with saran wrap and put them in the fridge overnight and take them out while the oven preheats in the morning. Will that along with bacon, sausage and scrambled eggs be enough?" I asked.

"Oh, I'm sure. We usually do all of that but not the cinnamon buns. I've heard about Annalisa's cook spoiling some of the men with her award winning cinnamon buns when they were up in Chicago a little while ago." Dixie said.

"Well, I learned how to cook in a hotel kitchen in Vegas and a few other places on my way here. I love to cook and will expand my menus as I get used to the kitchen and the guys likes and dislikes. Does anyone have any food allergies that I need to be aware of?" I asked.

"A couple of the guys have nut allergies so when you make stuff with nuts in it, you have to make a smaller portion without nuts just so they don't get sick." Dixie said.

"Good. I understand. I'll make up some "Has nuts" signs so they don't accidentally get into it. I used to know someone who was allergic to onions. Now that is something that can be hard to leave out of some recipes since onions are usually added for flavor and the dish can be rather bland without it." I said as I rolled up the last of the dough and began to slice them into portions. Nessa helped me lay them on the cookie sheets.