MSMC Bk 4 - Chapter 22

Chapter 22- Isabella's trial

Claire's POV

Thankfully, Doc came into the kitchen a little while later and at first I looked at him like he had two heads and when he asked me what was wrong, I told him "I'm sorry, Doc. I started my cycle this morning and was going to come and see you after breakfast and then all hell broke loose around here so I totally forgot about it."

"No worries. I can either bring it here to you or you can come by after dinner and I'll give it to you then." Doc told me.

"If I'm still on my feet after dinner, I'll stop by, otherwise, I'll stop in tomorrow morning, okay? Right now, I'm tired. This has been a very stressful day." I told him.

"Why are you here all by yourself? Where are the other women?" Doc asked.

"I didn't ask anyone for help. That's something I'm not used to having to do or even having that option. But right now, I wouldn't say no to anyone who can operate a potato peeler or a knife. I'm just making stew tonight. A one pot dish that should fill everyone up. I had planned on putting this in crock pots and letting it slow cook all day but the Cobras messed up my plans." I told him.

"Hang on. I'll get you some help in here. If not one of the women, I'll find you some prospects. They are used to helping out in here." Doc said and he left the kitchen.

A couple of minutes later, Nessa and Tiana came into the kitchen. "Girl, why didn't you call for help? I thought there were prospects working in here with you." Nessa said.

"No. Just me. If one of you can start peeling potatoes and the other can wash and cut up some celery and carrots, we'll have this stew ready in no time. I was going to do this earlier but the Cobras kind of screwed up all of my plans." I said.

Nessa took over peeling potatoes while Tiana washed and cut up carrots while I continued to brown the stew meat and throw it in the pot of water. I quartered some onions and threw them in and both Nessa and Tiana were amazed that I wasn't bawling my head off after having cut up half a dozen onions.

"How did you manage to do that without crying your head off? Onions always make me cry." Nessa said.

"Buy sweet onions and make sure you keep your knife wet with cold water and do it as fast as you can." I told them. The last item to go in was the green beans and then I turned the pot down to simmer. There was still a couple of hours before it would be time to serve and since I couldn't really put this on the buffet, I was going to make up the bowls of stew and the men could just come through the kitchen to get their dinner. I had planned on making bread rolls too but there wasn't enough time so I focused on making some desserts to fill everyone up instead. A sheet cake and some chocolate chip cookies and a big jello mold should be enough to satisfy everyone's sweet tooth.

I got to know Nessa and even Tiana opened up a bit more. She was a very quiet person which was unusual in this setting. "You don't talk much, do you, Tiana." I said.

"Try hitting on Boxer and you'll get her to open her mouth! Little one here has a real temper when it comes to anyone messing with her man." Nessa teased and Tiana blushed bright red.

"Hahaha! That's sweet. But I know how you feel. I'm not usually very outspoken either but won't take it well if someone tries to come between me and Circuit either. I know how to fight, I just don't like to, but will if someone messes with someone I care about." I said.

"I think all of the women here feel like that. They protect us and can be rather possessive and we are very protective and possessive about them." Nessa said.