Chapter 14

Previously on Chapter 13

"I'm sorry, El..." I said. She just gives me a soft smile at what I said. "I knew you could do it..." she said. I smile softly at her and slowly turn around, facing Vecna. He stares at me with anger and hatred in his eyes. I clench my hands into tight fists. No more... I will never let anything control me anymore.

-I'm Sorry-

Y/N P.O.V

Vecna stares at me with pure anger and hatred. He seem to be in disbelief that I'm able to free myself from his control. I just smirk at him, taunting him. My reaction makes him growl in anger.

"How did you break free from my control?!" He said. I just let out a laugh at what he said. I take a battle stance, ready to fight him. "Because I know where I stand. And I'm not your minion nor your offspring! I'm Y/N L/N!" I said. I let fire appear in my hand and shoot it at him. He staggers backward and turn to me, growling angrily.

He starts moving the furnitures around us, sending them towards me. I move out of the way trying my best to not get hit by any of them. Even though this isn't the real world, it still hurts.

I jump when something comes near my feet. But I soon realize that's a mistake when a table is sent towards me. I can't avoid it because I'm still in mid-air.

The table hit me, sending me flying towards a wall. I fall on the ground with a loud thud. My eyes starts to grow blurry. El walks towards Vecna and tries to fight him off. But even her can't overpower him.

I blink my eyes, the next time I open my eyes... our surrounding changes. I look around the place and realize everything is a ruin from a house. I struggle to stand up. But I feel something slithering around my hands and ankles. I struggle to break free. But the harder I tried, the tighter it gets.

Vecna walks over towards Max. He lift his giant claw hand, hovering it above Max's face. "You see, Y/N... there's nothing you can do to fight me. You will now see that you're in the losing side" he said. I can hear Max letting out a pained sound.

Fight, Y/N! Fight!! You can do it! You're a hero!! I hear Mike voice again. I close my eyes and focuses on my body, trying to ignore the vine that's wrapped around my neck. I focus to control my breathing and let out a scream. El doing the same. The two of us manage to break free from the vines.

I turn to El and nod my head. She nods back and we turn towards Vecna. We point our hands at him. The two of us use our power simultaneously. We let out a scream as we fight Vecna together. His whole body starts to disintegrate into ashes.

I fall on my knees and the surrounding turns into the attic where Max is. I hear sobbing sound. I turn my head to see Lucas cradling Max. He cries out to Erica in desperation.

I walk towards them and kneels down across from Lucas. I start to cry at the sight of Max's state. El also crying as she sits next to Lucas. I shake my head, not wanting to believe that Max is dying.

I place my hand on Max's chest, focusing on healing her wounds. El place her hand next to mind. I can feel what El is trying to do. She's filling Max's mind with our happy memories.

Our surrounding begins to fade. I shake my head, realizing that we have failed in saving Max. I open my eyes and the first thing I see is Mike hovering over me.

"Y/N..." he said. I sit up and wrap my arms around his neck. I start to cry harder as I bury my face in the crook of his neck. "I failed, Mike... Max is gone. She's gone!" I cried out. Mike didn't say anything. He just holds me close, running his hand through my hair as an attempt to calm me down.

My breathing starts to get heavier. Exhaustion and pressure from the battle starts getting to me. My whole body eventually fall limp in Mike's arms. I can hear his voice calling out my name. I can't make out what he said as his voice starts to get muffled. I just close my eyes, giving in to the darkness.

***

I slowly open my eyes. The first thing I notice is the white ceiling above me. I turn my head slightly and notice an IV bag. In an instant, I can tell that I'm in the hospital.

I feel warmth on my right hand. I turn my head to see Mike, holding onto my hand as he sleeps with his hand on the bed I'm laying on. I lift my hand, gently placing it on top of his head.

He starts to move in his sleep. His eyes flutters open as he turns to look at me. Relief is shown in his eyes as he realize I'm awake.

"Thank God you're awake..." he said. He stands up and take a seat on the edge of the bed as I move to sit up. He wraps his arms around me. I just lean on his shoulder, closing my eyes. Memories of what happen today comes back to my mind. Tears starts to stream down my cheeks as the realization hits me. I've failed in saving my friend.

"Max... she's gone because I'm not strong enough" I cried out. Mike pulls away from me and cups my cheeks, making me look at him. He stares at me in disapproval.

"No... it's not your fault. You've done everything you could, Y/N. Don't blame yourself..." he said. I just avert my gaze away from him. He let out a sigh and pulls me into another hug. I hug him back, leaning my head against his chest as I cry once again.

Guilt is all I can feel right now. I'm suppose to be the stronger one in the group. But even I'm not able to protect my friend. I'm such a failure! Max...

I'm sorry

*to be continued*