Epilogue

𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐂𝐇 𝟐𝟐, 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟓. 𝟎𝟔:𝟑𝟎 𝐀𝐌. 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐀𝐘 𝐀𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐑. 𝐒𝐇𝐎𝐖𝐍𝐔.

The day after felt like the beginning of a new life for everyone involved. The memories of the horror they had experienced were like a gnawing nightmare that wouldn't go away and would be remembered days later. But as if yesterday had not happened at all, Shownu's was back in full operation. Jungkook serving the clientele while Jimin and Shownu cooked the dishes in the kitchen.

The sun was high in the sky, carrying a pleasant warmth and friendly light into the store, which was filled with boisterous conversation and joyful laughter.

As if last night had never happened.

The front door of the store had already been repaired by Shownu, who had tackled it immediately after the Purge ended. And when Pree entered the store, there were no more signs of last night's fight.

Only memories.

And Exol.

The dog lay in front of the counter, between the stools, sleeping. He was sound asleep, trying to recover from all the shock.

The shopkeeper looked up as the little bell announced a new guest, and when he caught sight of the familiar face from yesterday, Shownu's concentrated expression brightened a little. "Pree, right?" he asked, because in all the excitement there hadn't been time to remember any names. "What brings you to us?"

The bags under her eyes were showing strongly, her body still shaking a bit from the experience. That night, those losses had drilled into her brain, left her unable to sleep, and she was dead tired because of it.

"I-I ..." she began, then immediately spotted the sheepdog and her breath caught again. Not even a hello could she get out, she felt awful. She quickly averted her eyes from the animal again, so as not to be reminded of the scenes of Purge night. Shownu watched her every move and Pree plopped down on one of the bar stools with a sigh, resting her chin on one of her palms. Meanwhile, he slid her a glass of water and a croissant, hoping she would be able to feel better soon. Physically, at least. "I-I wanted to say thank you," Pree then brought out, staring at the fresh croissant on the small white plate. The cold water caused the glass to tarnish and a few drops made their way toward the counter. "For just letting us in, even though we put you in danger," she finished her thanks, unable to even look the older man in the eye. She couldn't see the loving smile on his lips.

"I take it for granted. Minhyuk is a very good friend of mine and I would always protect him with my life."

"But you could have left me outside, you didn't know me," she mumbled barely comprehensible, holding on to her glass as if she might topple backwards otherwise. Her bones ached and she wanted nothing more than to sleep.

But she couldn't go back home.

"But I could tell you were a good person," he said seriously, placing something else on the counter. The smell immediately got into the brunette's nose and she closed her eyes briefly with pleasure. Hot chocolate with a dollop of cream on top.

Shownu knew exactly what the young woman needed right now.

When she opened her eyes again, she looked into the tall one's face. She saw the little smirk, it was warm and nice.

"That's the first time I've heard anything like that," Pree said, thanking him profusely indeed. She had no one left to lean on her shoulder.

"Hey, little one ...", Shownu finally said when she had finished eating, "there's a sofa in my office, rest there." With those words and a grin, Shownu left the small space behind the counter to serve other patrons.