Falling apart

Everything was drowned out apart from the rain splattering on the ground. It rained a lot in this area. The rain surprisingly didn't seem to have as many pollutants as rains in other areas. The closer you were to the fallout zones, the more you hoped you never saw rain as it came down more as acid rain. Grams thinks it wasn't nuclear fallout but rather something else that made the area uninhabitable.

I haven't traveled any farther north of here, but I imagine it rains more there forming into a lake too with such a good sized waterfall. It's getting too cold to travel anyway though. So perhaps next season. I rarely have to increase my hunting radius and where I go for water so it'd only be a bother right now.

I saw a few fall onto my hand. It was so cold and calming. I closed my eyes as I left my hand out. It was strangely peaceful, just this. The rain wasn't there to endanger me, even if it was cold. It was soft to the touch and brought replenishing life. Suddenly I felt a tap on the shoulder. My shoulder jumped and I quickly turned to see the boy crouching behind me. I scrunched my hand close to my chest. That scared me. I feel like i'm freezing now just having my hand out there for what could've been a few minutes. I looked up at him as he pushed off his knees and stood up.

"Geez... how many times do I have to try to get your attention." He sighed rubbing the back of his neck, staring out into the rain. "But I can get why the rain is so captivating to you." He spoke quietly above me.

He followed his gaze back to mine and handed me a stick with a large piece of meat on it. It was messily cut, but cooked evenly. I was always a shabby cook since I had to teach myself, as I could rarely watch anyone else cook. I didn't cook for the taste most of the time though.

"You really 'ought to stop staring off into space." He mentioned as he walked over to the fire and sat down. "If you keep looking out into the rain like that you'll get lost in it." He whispered into the fire and I couldn't quite catch the whole sentence.

"Uh...thank you." I responded, shyly following him.

I went to take a bite and was greeted with something besides meat. "Blackberries?" I quietly pondered over the meat.

"Grabbed a few off a bush before I got the pig. There's a lot of natural fruit brushes around here it's a little surprising." He leaned back on one hand as he ate his piece.

"I tend to scatter some seeds wherever I can. By my shelters and supply stashes mainly. Most of the time meat trades for things like seeds or fruit." I randomly mentioned staring down at the meat.

"So to find you I just need to find the berry bushes huh." He chuckled lightly.

"You'll find your way into my arrow again." I narrowed my eyes hastily.

"Harsh. Okay okay. I'll tread lightly." He muttered with a bit of a pout looking off into the fire.

"Before I forget again..." I pursed my lips setting my stick by the fire and going to my basket.

I grabbed two blankets and pillows, then some alcohol and medical wrap. How I managed to get my hands on medical wrap and alcohol still surprises me, but it did cost a few hunting trips to the city and trades. City trips are the worst. I've only gone to small towns and on two occasions the bigger cities but those are gang and experiment run. The last thing I ever want to do is run into one of those experiments. From what I've heard they're dangerous l. Sure they're barely around my age for the most part. Barely young adults. But because of the government they're dangerous and ruthless. Not to mention most of them you couldn't stop with a simple knife or gun. I don't like getting into a fight I know I can't win so I hope to never come across one of them.

I scurried over to the boy, setting down the hand knit pillows and blankets. He's lucky we're at one of my better stock areas. He hunted a good meal, the least I could do was shelter him. Well...and patch of his wound obviously. He looked at me curiously holding his breath as I took out the other supplies.