10| Legless

I arrived at Mia's parents' house in a tizzy. Mansion is a better word. 

Mia's parents were disgustingly rich. I was sure that was why her mom was still married to her dad. Her parents scarcely spent any time together. Her mom was always at one of their beach houses or in another country just to get away from them.

Mia had always been more close to her dad anyway. He must be coming home soon if Mia's mother had left on a trip.

I could already hear the booming bass, the laughter, and the chatter coming from inside. My stomach was still in knots. Whether it was from the fight with Dorian earlier or because I hadn't been to a party in a while, I couldn't tell. But I took a deep breath and marched for the front door. 

As I walked into the dimly lit room, there was a beer pong table set up behind the sofa and people filling every place to sit in the living area. There was a couple making out on the chair and a group of friends surrounding the coffee table cackling about something going on in their lives.

The house was an open concept so I could see the kitchen further into the house with snacks covering the large island and a selection of alcohol on the L-shaped counter surrounding the island. Alcohol. I was going to need a drink to tolerate everything around me. 

I made a beeline for the kitchen and grabbed the first bottle of vodka that I laid my eyes on. I was pouring some into a red plastic cup and finding a mixer when I heard a squeal and someone threw their arms around me. Mia.

 I turned to see Mia's shining smile. She was in an angel costume with glitter covering her whole body. How original. And she was wasted. 

"Am I playing catch-up already?" 

She giggled uncontrollably. "You're only like 2 hours late!" She threw her arms out to her sides and dropped them. "I am so glad you came. I missed you! Where have you been?!"

"Around," I grumbled and sipped my drink with a cringe.

"With that hot boyfriend of yours?" She eyed me over the rim of her cup.

I huffed comically. "He's not my boyfriend. You know me better than that." I downed a few gulps of my drink. I needed to catch up quickly and forget about earlier.

She shrugged and bounced on her heels. "Well, come find me when you get settled." She flashed me a drunk smile and he earrings dangled violently as she bounced back into the living area.

I downed the rest of my drink and made another and then leaned over the counter to recenter myself. I glanced around the party. Not that many people were in costume, and I was not wearing a costume, but I guess some of the others had the same thought. 

There was a blonde vampire leaning against the wall near the hallway entertaining a group of girls, and another set of groupies surrounding a guy dressed like Cry Baby. That one is actually kind of impressive.

I continued to scan the party and finish my second drink. As I finished the last drop, my blood began to warm and I began to feel lighter. Thank god. I swiftly made the third one and made my way to watch the pong game going on in the living area.

"Athena!" I turned to see who was calling my name and I saw Brady making his way over to me. He was one of my party friends from last semester. 

"Brady." I chuckled as he hugged my shoulders from the side.

"Where have you been? We're nearly two months into the semester and I haven't seen you at any of the ragers yet."

I shrugged and we both turned back to the game unfolding before us. "I've been around, mostly focusing on grades. I'm almost done."