Chapter 1 (World building)

Once you were done giving the younger Metkayina diving lessons, you decided to go and do some diving of your own.

As your feet reached the sand, you took some breaths, closed your eyes and felt the wind brush your h/l h/c hair just as your body gradually got swallowed by the reef's waters the more steps you took. Until you were fully submerged in it.

You opened your e/c eyes to see the beauty of the reef, bursting with life. With the plants moving with the waves above, nearby Ilus dancing with one another, the coral having a tiny glow to them as you grew closer to them and a school of fish swaying left and right as they passed you. You followed the fish's example as you scavenged for some more pearls, stones or trinkets for your collection.

Your mother and sister loved when you gave them some. Your brother on the other hand seemed to disagree.

He believed they were 'stupid' and collecting them was 'a waste of time' but you know deep down he really likes them.

As you swam deeper, you found an iridescent stone that gripped your attention.

'Yes. Wonderful for my collection' you thought to yourself with a smile, shaking off the sand to see it clearly and putting it in your small bag for safe keeping.

After a bit more searching you grew tired and decided to lay on the reef's floor peacefully. Looking at the wonders of the reef once more. Whilst you loosely moved your hand up and somehow controlled a long-thinned fish. You then patted it on the tip of the creature's nose.

'I could only imagine living in a place like this; it is probably full of many sites...especially beyond the reef. How lucky...What? I cannot help but wonder what it is like to be you'. You signed using your tribal sign language as your new fishy friend just started and slowly swam away.

You rolled your eyes and did the same so you could continue to indulge the reef's beauty some more while collecting pretty stones.

Now content with your items you collected, you swam gracefully up to the surface, taking in the smell of the reef water.
Suddenly your ears perked up when you heard the horn being played.

'New guests I presume. Probably from one of the other Metkayina islands.' You guessed.

"Y/n!" A way too familiar voice shouted. You snapped out of your thoughts and turned your head to see your one and only sister:

"Tsireya." You unconsciously smiled softly at her, as you spoke her name, seeing her ride a Ilu as she raced towards you.

(Oh Eywa, you remember when you and her were just learning how to ride an Ilu by our father and how she just kept getting swept up by the force of the currents. Now look at her). You smile at the memory.

"Did you hear the horn?" She questioned.

"Of course. You could hear that horn all the way from the Hallelujah Mountains." You replied jokingly. Tsireya laughed at your joke.

"Very true. We best check it out." Tsireya continued and you nodded your head. "Well then what are we waiting for? Let us go see what is happening!"

Tsireya rushed me, smiling at me and speeding off.

"Right behind you!"

You made a calling sound to summon an Ilu under me. You laughed at the Ilu's mischievousness, attached the bond and began your journey back to the island. Your home. Awa'atlu.

𝓝⋆ᯅ⋆๑𓂅﹆

Thank you guys for reading this first chapter. I know you wanna see Neteyam but I promise he's on the way. If I make any grammar or spelling mistakes please let me know because I am not the best at proof reading. Or you can just give me ideas to better the fanfic which I'll consider.

*Next chapter is tomorrow. If you liked the first chapter please leave a vote, share or add them to your reading list.
Thank you for the love 🫶🏾

Goodbye for now :)