Chapter 8

Recap:

"In life, you are not always going to have the biggest role but we all have one in this life. It's our job to find it. You just haven't found what your role truly is just yet." You looked at him and saw a smile crawl on his face.

"I've never thought of it like that." He chuckled.

"Well, it is nice to look at life in a positive light." Your lips curl thinking about your father's words.

"Thank you, y/n." Neteyam said softly and was about to reach you but he stopped. He felt like if he made another wrong move you would push him away once more.

"No problem, forest boy." You smirked a bit at him.

(If you saw yesterday's version of the last chapter pretend you didn't and re-read the last chapter to understand what happened :))

𝓝⋆ᯅ⋆๑𓂅﹆

After that heart to heart with Neteyam, it made you kind of happy that Neteyam would open up to you like that. From the outside, he seemed like a very positive person but just like you he had his own mental battles.

You two still carried on feeding the Ilu when Tuk left to go swim with Tsireya and Kiri.

This time, when feeding the Ilu, you moved next to him instead of standing opposite to him (you still kept a 10 inch gap between you and Neteyam though). You felt a little more comfortable with him once you two talked about childhood experiences and his journey here.

Neteyam deep down was ecstatic when you stood next to him. Even though he wanted to close the large gap between you two he didn't; he didn't want you to feel out of your comfort zone by doing stuff you didn't consent to.

He pretty much knew what you were like by now. You were like a turtle. If something didn't feel right to you would hide back in your shell immediately.
He also noticed how you liked to give physical contact but not receive it. Neteyam wondered if it was because of something that had happened to you in the past but he let the thought go.

Overall, it felt nice for someone to actually talk to you and try to understand you (other than your family). For once you could actually say you found a friend in Neteyam.

It was getting dark so you both left the water and instead walked on the white sand. Side by side.

"So how has your first day in Awa'atlu been now?" You asked Neteyam. Your hands behind your back still, keeping a moderate distance from him looking at the sand.

"At the moment I can't complain. It's almost as beautiful as the forests." He replied copying you with his hands behind his back while looking down at you.

"Almost?!" You look up at him in shock. Mouth agape. "Your lekyeʼung (Crazy)!" You laughed and he joined you as well, clutching his stomach due to your reaction.

"I mean it's okay. It's just that I don't have any floating mountains." He shrugs.

"Okay true but I bet the forests do not have as much wildlife as the reef does." You reply, folding your arms.

"I'm pretty sure it does." He smirks.

"You lie!" You playfully hiss at him. The two of you laugh once again.

You two soon died down and just looked at the stars for a bit as they danced around the moons.

"So then what is the best part about this place?" You ask still looking at the stars.