The Beginning : Chapter Six

Chapter Six : Night of Hearts

Carolyn woke up in the middle of the night; tangled in her sheets and a sheer layer of sweat covered her. Breathing heavily she looked out the window to see the stars still shining brightly in the sky above. With a sigh she turned over to try to sleep, but the nightmare was still fresh in her mind.
The screams...
The blood...
The agony...
Rose...
With a quick shake of her head Carolyn got up and grabbed her sword before starting to head outside.
It was eerily quiet, nothing around but the trees and the stars.

"CAROLYN HELP ME PLEASE!"

The wind blew lazily around Carolyn; picking up her locks and breathed life into them.

A blood curdling scream of agony, so much pain filled it that the scream didn't sound human. Blood seeped from under the doors; staining the white ground.

The grass and flowers bent lazily along with the wind.

"CAROLYN PLEASE!" Rose's screams began again, each in more agony that the previous.

The crickets and frogs made music in the night air.

"ROSE!!!" She pounded on the door, tears streaming down her face as she did.

She felt the warm air around her, the night clouds moving slowly across the stars.

One last kick and the door fell, leaving her to witness the horror.

Her eyes started to close on their own accord.

Rose lay limp on a surgical table; her beautiful curls short and choppy. Her eyes dead and her body torn apart and bloody.

The night began to send her to sleep where she stood.

"Why didn't you save me Carolyn?" Rose said, her dead eyes staring at her.

She could feel herself slowly going to sleep.

"Carolyn." Her eyes shot open and she froze. Slowly turning she saw Rose standing there. Her heart beat faster at the sight. Rose's curls danced on the wind, moving hypnotically. Her pale face glow in the moon light; her lips pulled into a smirk. Her red mask shinned, hiding the rest of her face instead with button eyes. Her heart stung with sadness at the thought of never seeing her eyes. She was so perfect.
"What are you doing out so late Carolyn?" With a blink Carolyn focused her eyes back on Rose, who seemed to be staring at her intently.
"Oh... I had a nightmare." Rose sighed and walked over to Carolyn.
"Do you want to talk about it?"

"WHY CAROLYN. WHY?"

"I'm fine." Carolyn said, tears threatening to spill over. She turned away from Rose. Rose stood off to the side and examined Carolyn's body language before deciding now was the time if any.
"Carolyn, I wanted to talk to you." Carolyn's heart raced as she turned to face Rose.
"A-about what?" A blush crept into her cheeks.
"You're a fine fighter now. You'll do well against Arson." Her heart went cold at her words.
"Wh-what are you trying to say Rose?" Carolyn stuttered, her mind racing as she drew up the grand picture. She didn't want to see it.
"You no longer need my help. It's getting risky, and we've almost been caught a number of times. You don't need me." Carolyn's heart cracked a bit.
"Yes I do Rose." Carolyn said quietly. Rose strode over and out a hand on her shoulder.
"You'll be fine, you're a great fighter now." Another crack appeared. A shaking hand reached up to Rose's  mask, she started to lift it off of her face when suddenly she was on the ground. Rose was further back now, shying away from Carolyn. "What the hell do you think you're doing Carolyn." She snarled. Carolyn stared at her.
"I-I just wanted to see-"
"Well you better watch yourself then." Rose said, her hands going up to fix her mask; which had been turned crooked. A drop of blood trailed down her face and one of her fingers went to catch it. "Stay away from me from now on." Rose said, straightening and turning away from Carolyn.

Her heart shattered.

___________________________

Really short chapter, but I think it's one of my favorites. I really like it, so I hope that you enjoyed it!

Have a good day/ night!

~Laura