[ Chapter 24 ]

Content Warnings:

•Season 4 Part 3 Spoilers
•Mentions of Death
•Strong Language
•Violence
•Ghosts
•Death
•Blood
•Guns
•Gore
•War
•Fire

•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•

Flashback

As a young child you always craved more attention from your brothers, especially your father. Sure, he took care of you and made sure you were happy but it wasn't enough. You lacked a shared interest with him. Neither of you had anything in common besides a few physical features but that was it, it was only skin deep. The man was always working or fishing to feed your family, very rarely taking a day off even if he was ill.

You realized that the only way to spend time with your dad and brothers was to be interested in what they liked as well. The most obvious thing was mechanics. The practice was in your blood, generation after generation. Your father's grandfather had started the business your dad now owns and operates, and one day the shop would be passed down to your brothers. By default, you wanted to be included as well.

The day you picked up a book about mechanics for the first time, you were hooked. Even if you did not necessarily understand in the beginning, you were determined to learn more. Part of the reason was because you wanted to bond with your family, the other part was to learn the trade your ancestors practiced so you could fit in. You wanted to be just like them. You always struggled to fit in, so what better way than when you had the opportunity?

That night, your father had come in to say "goodnight" but alas, you were already sound asleep with the book laid open on your face. Your tired self had dropped it and you were too far gone to even notice. The man crept over and carefully removed the worn book, realizing which one it was after inspecting it. He never felt more proud besides the day his children were born. He did not really intend on introducing you to his craft, he simply assumed you wouldn't be interested. However, you proved him wrong.

From there on, you dedicated your days to studying all the books your father had in the workshop. Eventually, you memorized each one. Your favorite by far was the book dedicated to building ODM Gear. Materials, measurements, repairs, you name it. Its what led you to your obsession. Your passion. Learning that Scouts got to use them all the time on expeditions excited you like no other. The other two Military branches did not use them hardly as much, granting you a reason to yearn to join the Scouts.

Once you became conscious of your ability, your grandfather had paid a visit while you were reading the ODM Gear book again one day. You read that thing at least once a week for pure enjoyment. You did not doubt you could read it with your eyes closed, upside down. The older gentleman sat with you in the workshop and quietly grinned down at the pages you read, finger caressing the pages as you underlined each sentence. You felt his hand on your shoulder to give it a squeeze to show he was proud of you for following in not only your father's footsteps but his, and his father's before him. They were all days you would never forget or forget to be thankful for. "Keep it up, kid." He had told you.

Flashback End

"We were together for over six years." Zeina mumbles with a numbness to her voice. Her throat still irritated and scratchy from sobbing in your arms for an hour after it happened. You were silent the whole time, dumbfounded on what to say in the situation. So, you let her release all her feelings. You sit adjacent to her, quietly listening to her get feelings off her chest now that she could finally speak without choking up. Reality must have been setting in finally. "Because you planned on never coming back? To us? To dad?" You decide to ask, the question eating away at you for the past few minutes. Pausing to process your question, the similar (color)-haired woman hangs her head. "I don't know what I planned, Y/n. I really don't." She whispers, sounding lost.