20

A young boy hurriedly made his way through the halls of the Red Keep, his steps swift and purposeful, towards the dining hall. The king had specifically requested that any letter bearing his only granddaughter's name be brought to him without delay.

"Your Grace," the boy said, respectfully bowing as he entered the room. "There is a letter for you from Driftmark." The king turned his head slightly, motioning for the boy to approach. With a small smile playing on his lips, he accepted the letter, knowing it was from her.

"Dearest grandfather,

It deeply saddens me that I must convey this news to you through a letter rather than in person. Upon my return to Driftmark after my eleventh birthday, I found myself married."

The king's eyes snapped up, a flicker of anger coursing through him. He had never granted permission for anyone to lay a hand on his granddaughter, let alone marry her. Nevertheless, he continued reading the letter, his gaze fixed on the words before him.

"Not long after, I conceived a child, which instilled within me a deep sense of fear and uncertainty. Given my tender age, we made the decision not to make any announcements. Just the other day, I gave birth to two sons, but tragically, one of them, Axel, passed away before he could even open his eyes. It pains me greatly to know that you will never have the chance to meet him or his father, as he too is no longer with us. However, amidst this immense sorrow, there is also great news to share. My second son, Wyrion, is strong and thriving. As soon as I am able to travel, we will come to visit, as the birth has taken a toll on my body. You will have the opportunity to meet your great-grandchild then.

Until that time comes, please know that I remain your loving granddaughter,

Raina."

"My poor girl," her grandfather hissed, grinding his teeth. The loss of a child was a profound pain he knew all too well. However, the anger within him grew, knowing that he had been kept in the dark, and that he had been informed earlier.

"Was it good news?" the queen asked, studying him carefully.

"Reina seems to have given birth to twin boys," the young boy replied, observing the shocked expressions on everyone's faces.

"She... she was never even married," the queen stated, her tone reflecting her disapproval. While she did not particularly like the girl, she couldn't deny the bravery and strength it must have taken for someone so young to bear children.

Aegon swallowed hard upon hearing the news, his gaze shifting to meet his father's.

"Apparently, without my knowledge, she was married after her eleventh birthday, upon her return to Driftmark," he explained, tossing the letter onto the table.

Aegon was the first to reach the letter, and the realization struck him deeply. These were undoubtedly his children that Reina had given birth to.

"I hope she is well," the queen inquired, her concern evident. The king inhaled sharply through his nose, shaking his head in response.

"The labor was difficult for her, and she lost her eldest son. How do you think she is?" he hissed, his anger palpable. The queen's throat tightened, and she cast her eyes down to the table, mirroring the reactions of everyone else in the room.

"I never gave permission for her to marry, let alone allow someone to lay a hand on my innocent, blossoming granddaughter in such a manner!" The king's voice boomed, his frustration and fury resonating through the room. It wasn't that he opposed the idea of her marrying and having children in general, but the point was that he wanted to have a say in choosing a suitable partner for her. Moreover, he wanted to ensure that she received the best care from the most esteemed maesters in the realm, should she bear a child.

"But there is not just sad news in this letter," the king stated, taking a deep breath to compose himself. "Our second grandson, Wyrion, was born healthy. When she is ready to travel, we shall organize a grand celebration to welcome him and my first great-grandchild into the world." With that, the king calmly stood up and left the room.

"Do not be afraid," a soft voice whispered. The queen's gaze shifted to her daughter. "The Chosen Flame is not so easily extinguished. Her game has only just begun." The queen sighed, offering her daughter a tight smile, an as she continued to whisper to herself.

"A spool of green, a spool of black," she murmured. The queen was all too familiar with those words. However, what caught her attention were the following words that escaped her daughter's lips. "And now, a spool of red."
.
.
.
At Dragonstone

a man entered and addressed Princess Rhaenyra, "Princess, there's a letter from Driftmark." Rhaenyra, her eyebrows furrowing, accepted the letter, her eyes scanning its contents.

"Dear Princess Rhaenyra,

We are delighted to inform you that the next generation of the Velaryon lineage has arrived. Princess Reina has given birth to twin sons following her marriage after her eleventh nameday."

"What!?" Jaca exclaimed, his voice filled with surprise, as his mother continued reading the letter.

"Unfortunately, her firstborn son, Axel, was lost shortly after birth. However, her second son, Wyrion, was born healthy and strong. Although the birth was challenging for Princess Reina, it appears that she will recover well. Once the child is old enough to travel and Reina is sufficiently recovered, we intend to journey to King's Landing. Reina has requested that her brothers and cousins come sooner to meet the newest addition to our house."

Sincerely yours,

The Kingdom of Driftmark

Rhaenyra placed a hand over her mouth, her heart sinking as she swallowed hard. She had been completely unaware of the wedding and her daughter's pregnancy at such a tender age. She knew that her father would never have allowed this to happen without his consent. Something must have gone terribly wrong.

"But she will be fine, right, mother?" Luke asked, his eyes brimming with tears.

"Yes, she will be fine," Rhaenyra replied, giving him a reassuring smile.

"She's strong, she can endure anything," Luke said, mustering a small smile as he blinked away his tears.

"Yes, she is strong, but to be married at such a young age... it's outrageous!" Jaca exclaimed, rising from his seat in frustration.

"Jaca," Daemon interjected, attempting to calm him down, but Jaca shook his head.

"No! My sister is too young, far too young to be married and have children. We had no knowledge of any of this until now," he exclaimed. "She lost a child, and we lost a nephew, and we didn't even know!"

"I'm sure she had her reasons for not telling," Rhaenyra attempted to reassure him, but her words seemed to only fuel his anger.

"No!" Jaca exclaimed even louder. Rhaenyra looked at her eldest son with growing concern. She knew how deeply he cared for his sister, but she hadn't anticipated such a strong reaction from him. "This shouldn't have happened, and she didn't tell us because she didn't want you to know!" he yelled, pointing a finger accusingly at his mother.

"Jaca!" Daemon's voice carried a firmer tone, but Jaca ignored him once again.

"That's all your fault! You sent her away, and we treated her as if we didn't love her!" he continued, his voice filled with anguish. "She lost her child, she is in pain, and I couldn't protect her. I failed to keep the promise I made to him!" Rhaenyra suddenly realized what he was referring to. There was no way he could remember that; he was barely one year old when it happened.

"Jaca," Rhaenyra said tenderly, reaching out to him as he finally sat back down in his seat.

"I don't remember much," he confessed, his voice filled with guilt. "But I do recall asking about her, and father would remind me every night of the promise I made. And now, I have failed to keep that promise."