29

Raina stood, gazing at the sky. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes, placing her hands on her slightly swollen belly.

"Raina," Rhaenyra's voice interrupted her thoughts. Raina's eyes fluttered open to find Rhaenyra standing nearby. Surprisingly, things had been somewhat civil between the two. Rhaenyra had reluctantly agreed to the marriage, although she wasn't exactly thrilled about it. However, she had come to realize that this situation might never have occurred if she had been a better mother to Raina. She hadn't treated Raina like a daughter, and now she understood the consequences of her actions.

"I know this isn't an ideal situation," Raina began, but her words were halted as Rhaenyra gently reached out and took her hand, inhaling deeply.

"I haven't been a mother to you, Raina, and for that, I am deeply sorry," Rhaenyra confessed, her voice filled with regret. "When you were born, it shocked me to see... you. It was evident whose child you were, as you had mentioned before, from a very drunken night. I wasn't prepared for you to be... his." Rhaenyra paused, struggling to find the right words.

"Raina, it's not that I didn't want you. You were my first daughter, and I did want you. But your dark skin and white hair made the contrast with your brothers more pronounced. It was obvious to anyone who saw us together. So, in an attempt to protect them, I made the selfish decision to send you away, without considering the impact it would have on you," Rhaenyra admitted, her voice heavy with remorse.

"To be completely honest, Raina, you scared me. You were his only true child, and I didn't want that fact to be used against... us," Rhaenyra continued, her voice faltering. "And when you and Damon... when you were together, you weren't thinking about sleeping with your mother's husband or your stepfather. Because, truthfully, I was never a mother to you. That honor belonged to your grandmother, and she did a remarkable job." Rhaenyra's gaze met Raina's, filled with a mix of guilt and longing for forgiveness.

"I really don't..." Raina began, her voice trailing off. Rhaenyra nodded, acknowledging her hesitation. "I was angry, I was lonely, and he was there. I felt like I could trust him, and he listened to me. I felt like he wanted me there... It just started out as talking, and then... it just happened," Raina confessed, her words tinged with a mix of truth and complexity. While it had initially been a means to an end, their connection had evolved into something more.

Rhaenyra listened, her heart heavy with conflicting emotions. "I care for you, and I love you," Raina expressed, her voice sincere. "But I don't love you like a mother," she added, her words hanging in the air. Rhaenyra nodded, understanding that Raina's feelings were genuine and complex. She loved Raina, too, but did she truly love her as a daughter? That was a question she couldn't answer definitively.

"You're right. This is not an ideal situation," Rhaenyra agreed, her tone laden with regret. "We didn't get the chance to bond as a mother and daughter should have. Perhaps this is an opportunity for us to bond in a different way," she suggested, her gaze meeting Raina's with a glimmer of hope. Raina looked at her, curiosity and uncertainty evident in her expression, awaiting an explanation.

"For a non-mother-daughter relationship, perhaps a sisterly bond could make things easier," Rhaenyra suggested, a glimmer of hope in her eyes. Raina nodded, a smile forming on her lips. She had always yearned for a connection with Rhaenyra, and she was willing to give this new dynamic a chance.

"I believe we can make it work if we try," Raina expressed, her voice filled with determination. "When you're ready, a raven needs to be sent out, explaining our intentions." Fortunately, in this delicate situation, being the only true child of her father, others would likely perceive their actions as an attempt to strengthen their claim to the throne. While that was a part of it, Raina also wanted to build a genuine relationship with Rhaenyra.

"I've already sent out the announcement of yours and Daemon's wedding, along with the news of your impending child," Rhaenyra revealed. Raina nodded, taking in the information. "With that, people will already assume you two are married," Rhaenyra added.

"That's good. I don't want something extravagant, anyway," Raina said, expressing her preference for a more low-key celebration.

.
.
.

"Your Grace," a man entered the dining room, interrupting the tense atmosphere. "My apologies, but there is a letter from Dragonstone," he informed the king. The king snatched the letter eagerly, his hands trembling as he hastily tore it open. His eyes scanned the contents, and his face contorted with anger as he read aloud.

"Daemon Targaryen has taken Raina Velaryon-Targaryen as a second wife, and we are pleased to announce that their first child will be arriving soon," the king read, his voice filled with fury. He stood abruptly, his rage palpable. "What is this?!" he bellowed, his voice echoing through the room. "This will not happen!"

Aegon felt a wave of sickness wash over him. He couldn't bear the thought of Raina marrying someone else, nor could he fathom his own son referring to Daemon as "father." Anger surged through him, overwhelming his senses. Without thinking, he grabbed his wine cup, taking a swig before hurling it forcefully at the wall, shattering it into pieces.

As Aemond sat, his gaze fixed on the table, a mix of disbelief, anger washed over him. Daemen, of all people? Aemond knew he could treat Raina better, make her feel cherished, fulfill her needs in ways that Daemen never could. It gnawed at him, the realization that Raina had chosen someone else.

"When did this happen?" the queen inquired, her voice filled with concern.

"I want them here, and I want them here now!" the king hissed through clenched teeth. "My brother is not to marry my granddaughter. This will not happen!"

Aemond continued to stare down, his voice barely above a whisper. "She is with child," he confessed, the weight of the situation sinking in. "It sounds like it's too late."

The king's rage intensified, his face turning scarlet. "Get her here! Get her here now!" he roared, his voice echoing through the room. The urgency in his demand was unmistakable, fueled by a mixture of anger, protectiveness, and a desperate need to rectify the situation.