Chapter 19 (2)

The elementary school pool was quiet today, the water was being drained and it was going to be cleaned, so the swimmers had a day off.

"Team don't."
A young boy pulled the shirt of his younger brother to stop him from walking through the door.

"There is no one here now."  He pointed to the pool that was normally full of kids.

The stubborn boy didn't give up and kept going towards the pool, wanting to go in with his brother.

"We have it to ourselves!" Team ran around and yelled. Without adults they would be able to do whatever they want!

"If the teacher finds out he will beat you for sure." The older one scolded him.

Usually the two practiced after school everyday until 7pm. Their mom, who came to watch around 6, would take them home.
It was their regular routine, but today they forgot the pool was closed. When they arrived they saw the sign hanging at the club saying 'closed for cleaning.'

There was still a few hours until their mom would be there, and the older boy wanted them to wait in the library for her but Team refused to listen.

"Let's have a swim race?" Team waved his bag with his swim trunks in it.

"We can't go in the pool."

"It's ok they haven't taken the water out yet, we can play. Only for an hour."  The little one held onto his arm and begged.

"Just an hour, no one will know, then we can change and wait for mom." Team said.

The older boy was reluctant but was weakened by his shining eyes. Who could say no to a little brother like that?

"One hour."
"Yes!"

The boy took his clothes to change, and looked around the pool smiling. It was the pool they used everyday, and it was just for an hour. It shouldn't be a problem.

Splash!

"Hia come on."

Team closed his eyes and swam to the middle, calling his brother to hurry up.

"I haven't warmed up yet." He answered. The teacher always told them they had to stretch before going in the water.

"It's ok we are just playing in the water for a minute, not doing any hard practice." Team dived down to show it was nothing serious.

The older brother slowly climbed in using the ladder and swam to Team, they splashed at each-other and messed around. Their happiness was simple, doing something naughty didn't have to be a big problem.

Team leaned on the edge of the pool and kicked his feet, without anyone else in it the pool seemed huge.

"When I grow up I'll be the best coach." He turned and smiled at P' Ton.

"Then I'll be on the national team, with you as my coach." The older brother said with a smile, dreaming of his future.

"Sounds good, national athletes."
The two of them had been swimming together since they could remember. It could be said he was born knowing how to swim. Luckily their parents were supportive. As a youth swimmer the goal of being on a national team didn't seem too far away.

They laughed until Team saw it was almost time to get out.

"Have to get out, mom will be here soon." By the time they finished changing, mom would probably be here.

"Awww it's time?" Team whined. "Hia! Let's race one time! When we're done we will go wash of and wait for mom." He proposed.

The older hesitated but it should be quick. He could give in a bit, it was just a few feet.

"One round!"
"Ok!"

The two kids held onto the edge with their feet against the wall ready to launch themselves as far as they could. The one who wanted to be a national coach had a serious face. Whoever reached the end first would get snacks.

"One,"
"Two,"
"Go!"

Small agile bodies quickly plunged into the cold water, Team's arms cut through the water in rhythm. He saw his brother creep up on him from the corner of his eye.

Nooo he wanted to win the snacks!

The boy who hated loosing pushed himself faster forgetting everything his coach taught him, he pushed his limbs until he felt a sharp pain.

"Ahh!"

Cramp?!

His small body curled up and he gripped his leg that was bent painfully.

At the finish line his brother was smiling widely waiting to tease Team about his victory, even if he won he was going to give him snacks anyway.

"Team?" He pursed his lips and looked around the pool. He thought he might be pranking him as he does sometimes, but there was no sign of him.

"Team?! Where are you?"
"Hia! Help!" a voice called out.

His eyes were wide as he saw a small hand reach out of the water in the middle of the pool. His heart fell to his stomach.

Team was drowning.

"Hia help! Help me!"

The small hand waved and sunk into the water. The brother dived in and swam faster than he had in his life.

"Team!" He yelled, before going under to look for him. He was sinking to the bottom.

No!! No no no!

As his consciousness faded Team could see a blurry image of his brother coming to grab his hand. His body was pulled up with difficulty.

Unfortunately the elementary school boy wasn't strong enough.
It wasn't enough for them both to survive.

"TEAM!" A voice shouted waking the little boy up with a jolt. He choked on water, his face was dark red. Someone was patting his back.

"Just throw up the water, it's ok."
"Ack! Cough cough"

His chest ached. His body was in pain and tears ran down his face. He cried into the arms of the adult that held him, until the terror of his mother's screams reached his ears.

"No!! My baby!" She screamed.

Team was trembling. His brother's body laid there, motionless. Several adults were gathered around, pushing on his chest.
Pumping his heart.

"Is the ambulance here?!"
"It's on the way."
"My boy!"

Why?

Team didn't understand. He was the one drowning, not him..why wasn't he breathing?

"Hia.." he tried to break away from the person holding him but he was held back tightly.

"Hia!"
Get up!
We said we would be national athletes together right?! I'm going to be your coach!

Hia!

________________________
😭

Hey guys! I'm feel bad that the last few chapters are a bit sloppy, it's a pain to do this on the app. I'll come back when I can to clean it up and everything, but I wanted to get it posted for those of you following along.

💜💜💜