| Chapter 4 |

-
Italics: (Na'vi language or Jake's inner thoughts or narration)
-

Even though the Hammerhead had backed off and run back to its herd, Jake had yet to notice a Thanator sneaking up behind him. Y/n, up in the trees, gasped quietly to herself, knowing how vicious those creatures are. Jake was still boasting and feeling proud of himself for scaring off the Hammerhead, even if it wasn't him who did it, but rather the creature that stood behind him, snarling.

"Yeah? come one! What you got?" Jake said, still failing to notice the animal standing behind him. "Oh, yeah. Who's bad? That's right. Yeah, that's what I'm talking about, bitch" Jake continued to taunt, continuing to boast at the hammerhead that was getting further away from him and running back.

Y/n rolled her eyes at his behavior, still gripping her bow tightly, and feeling like she might have to step in soon to help this man against an animal as ferocious as a Thanator. 'Skxawng' She thought to herself, confirming her thoughts from earlier, but still letting a soft smile come across her face. It was mostly because the situation was funny to her at the same time.

"That's right. Get your punk ass back to mommy" Jake said, seeing the herd of hammerheads start to go back in the direction they came from, while the Avatar was still completely oblivious to what was behind him.

"Yeah? Yeah, you got nothing. You keep running. Yeah, and why don't you bring back some of your friends, huh?" Jake said, making Y/n giggle slightly. Even if he was being cocky and he didn't know what was about to happen, the situation certainly was entertaining for her.

The Thanator behind him began to snarl menacingly and Jake turned around, seeing the black panther-like creature. In fear, Jake's ears lowered and flattened while his eyes went wide. He wasn't as cocky now as he was before. The Thanator growled and roared, then leaped over Jake and threatened the hammerheads that were still nearby. "Oh, shit" Jake whispered in shock and fear mingled together.

The hammerheads did not back down and roared even louder, making Jake grip his gun even tighter and aim it at either creature. Norm and Grace got in a safe spot behind a tree, trying not to attract too much attention to the hammerheads or the Thanator. Both scientists started backing away while Jake remained in the same position.

The Thanator eventually lost interest in the hammerheads and turned to Jake, starting to prowl towards him, making Jake aim his gun more precisely at the beast. "So, what about this one? Run? Don't run? What?" Jake asked more quickly than before, his anxiety taking over his words and speech. From up in the trees, Y/n was urging this man to run. He had no idea how vicious this species is, and if he played his cards right, he might get out alive from this situation. Just maybe.

"Run! Definitely run!" Grace said, and Jake wasted no time, lowered his gun, and started running towards the path they came from, but eventually steering a bit off course and leaving Norm and Grace somewhere else.

Y/n followed Jake as he ran as fast as his legs could carry him. She was up in the trees leaping from tree branch to tree branch. If needed, she would step in, but for now, she wanted to see where this goes.

As Jake ran faster with the Thanator on his tail, he jumped in between a bundle of trees where he was able to fit through but the Thanator was able to nudge its way in and continue its chase after the Avatar. Jake leaped over trees, roots, rocks, and bamboo poles, and tried his best to find shortcuts, but it didn't work because the Thanator always found a way back to chase him. Jake eventually wormed his way into a grove, or barricade, of roots that had a spot for him to hide in, but the beast was able to find the Avatar once again easily.

Y/n landed on a branch on the same tree that Jake was hiding in below her. She peeked downwards and noticed how the Thanator started to use its claws to attempt to get to Jake beneath the roots. The branches were destroyed easily by the Thanator, starting to leave Jake without almost no hiding space anymore. The creature stuck its head inside the grove roots and Jake only continued to back away further into the tree for safety and out of the jaws of the Thanator. The beast roared at the fact that Jake was getting further away.