| Chapter 12 |

-
Italics: (Na'vi language or Jake's inner thoughts or narration)
-

Everything was burning. There wasn't a single place around the fallen sacred tree that wasn't infested by fire and flames. It was hard to see, but you and Neytiri were able to run to your father's aid, seeing his body on the ground. "Ma sempul!" (Father!) You yelled, and Neytiri's eyes widened at the sight.

As you approached him, you and Neytiri dropped your bows and dropped down to your knees beside your father as you began to wail and sob. There was a big piece of wood impaled through his torso. If he wasn't already dead, he didn't have much time left. "Ma sempul, ngati oel kin!" (Father, we need you!) You sobbed, resting your arms on your father and leaning against him with grief as Neytiri sobbed and cried by your side.

Eytukan's eyes opened a small fraction as he groaned weakly. "Ma 'ite, tskoti munge" (Daughter, take my bow) He said, handing his bow that is made from the wood of Hometree and handing it to you. Taking the weapon in your hands, your head shook frantically in denial. "Kehe..." (No...) You said through sobs. Neytiri leaned against you while your father said his last words.

"Omatikayaru tìhawnu sivi..." (Protect the people...) He said through labored breaths, and then, his eyes dilated and Eytukan took his last breath. His arms fell limp onto the ground. He was gone. As if the switch to reality had come back, denial subsided and the realization quickly came to both sisters. You held the bow in your hands as you and Neytiri continued to cry at the loss of your beloved father.

You and your sister huddled closer together in grief, keeping one another close, not wanting to lose each other like you just lost the most important person in both of your lives. The cries never ceased, and it felt like an eternity for the two sisters as they sat together, holding onto the bow and each other tightly.

All of a sudden, Jake's voice could be heard through the crackling of the flames around them. He was looking for you. He needed to know if you were okay. "Y/n!" He called out for you but got no answer in return.

He continued to search the area until he saw you kneeling with Neytiri in front of Eytukan. His eyes widened and he immediately approached and ran towards the two of you, getting to his knees and seeing the Chief of the Omaticaya no longer alive. Sadness overtook Jake. He remembered that Eytukan was the one that welcomed Jake into the clan and let him stay amongst The People so that they could learn from him.

Seeing you and Neytiri cry in grief was devastating to Jake. The two sisters were speaking in Na'vi as they mourned what they had lost. It felt like daggers in his heart. Y/n wailed in grief, and instinctively, Jake leaned over and put his hand on her arm for comfort. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry..." He whispered to you, but also Neytiri as well. He couldn't imagine the pain the two of you were enduring.

Seeing Jake approach his sister like that, Neytiri glared at Jake with venom in her eyes, so she harshly pushed him away, making him stumble back, and Neytiri cradled her sisters' head as emotions coursed through them.

"Get away..." Y/n sobbed, not making eye contact with Jake. You then abruptly stood up and away from your sister's embrace. "Get away!" You yelled at Jake, making Jake's ears go down and his heart dropped.

He didn't want you to push him away, even if you had all the right to do so. Tears were brewing in his eyes at your words, and his eyebrows furrowed in sadness.

He hates seeing you upset, especially if it's him who's the cause of it. He has been willing to risk everything for you, and even now, he will still do it without hesitation more than ever. He knows he disappointed you, and the way you were internally wishing for him not to come any closer, shattered his heart completely. He loves you so much, that he can't even put it into words. He risked everything he had for you but in the end, you ended up losing it all.