Chapter Nine

Max's PoV

I chased after Minx and Krism. They knew how to defend themselves, but it was safer this way. Minx bent over and started retching. Krism stayed next to her as I drew my weapon.

"Alesa, Adam will be right back," someone said. I stopped dead in my tracks and looked back at the two girls. I held a finger to my lips, quieting them. I slowly walked toward the source of noise. A group of four people were walking around in a small clearing. A dead body lay on the ground. Krism and Minx walked over to me.

"They've got to be with the other group. Let's grab them," I said. They nodded and we jumped forwards. I tackled one guy and grabbed the others leg. Minx and Krism got the other two.

"You guys are coming with us. You make one bad choice, and you die. Same with your friends," Minx said, looking around at everyone. They all nodded and we stood them up. We took them back to our spot were Ze lay on the ground, Chilled hunched over him. I left the new people with Krism and Minx before heading over to Chilled. He jumped when I first spoke. He was obviously upset as his best friend was laying dead on the ground. I decided not to speak much of it, and instead went back over to the others. Aaron got up and joined us. However, when Chilled went to get Adam, they broke out fighting. Minx grabbed my arm and pulled me off into the forest. Aaron and Krism followed. The four people followed behind us with some hesitation.

"What about Chilled? We can take Adam," I said. Minx shook her head.

"I'm not going to kill one of my friends to save another. I love them both. Chilled can find a way out of it. We'll meet back with him later," Minx said, speeding up. I started jogging, trying to get as far away as possible.

"Fine. We are getting him back later," I said. Aaron nodded and we kept going. It wasn't too long before we heard Chilled. He was farther behind us, but he was screaming for us. He was pained, that was obvious. "Minx, we can help him," I said.

"No. We are leaving. Getting the fuck out of here," Minx said. She continued running. We broke into the clearing we had been in earlier. The man we had grabbed was still on the ground. He was awake though. His eyes widened and he pulled on his binds more. He still had the gag placed in his mouth. He tried screaming at us, but it was muffled. I felt bad for him, but I didn't want him attacking if I let him go.

"Minx, what about him?" Aaron asked.

"Grab him too, Max," she replied. I nodded and slowly walked over to him.

"Sorry, buddy. I guess you're coming with us," I said, helping him up. I removed the gag from his mouth only to have him try to bite me. I ignored it and pulled him along. His arms were bound behind his back with a thick vine.

"What'd you do to Ty?" He yelled in my face. I looked back at the others, trying to figure out what he meant.

"Seto. You're the one that stabbed Mitch. Come over here and fight me like a man," a man said, walking over to me. I pushed him back and pulled my knife out.

"Back up," I said.

"Jerome, I had every good reason to. Do you know what he's said to me? Have you ever listened to a damn thing that Mitch has said?" The guy named Seto yelled.

"Shut up," Aaron yelled, a gun to someone's head. Jerome turned around and instantly dropped to his knees.

"Don't hurt him," he whimpered out.

"Your people killed one of ours. I think we should return the favor. In fact, I think they just got two more," Aaron said, pushing the gun into Mitch's head.

"Aaron...," I trailed off. He wouldn't really shoot two people, would he?

"Move forward. We're continuing things. Next time, he gets his brains blow out along with another one of you," Aaron said. Everyone moved forwards. I stopped moving and soon the others followed.

"I hear something," I said quietly, walking towards the sound. I moved the trees and saw a drop. We were on a hill that seemed to be very tall. Water ran below and trees covered the area. Several people, about seven, were down by the river. They looked slightly bloody and wounded. Except for one person. He was laying on the ground, his leg looked messed up. The closer I looked, the more I realized what was happening. Chilled was down below, unconscious, while several people walked around him. And one of those people were supposed to be dead.