Chapter 2

My family seems regal and poised to the outside world, but really, it's just a bunch of lunatics living together

My family seems regal and poised to the outside world, but really, it's just a bunch of lunatics living together. And as the teller of this tale, I would like to pretend that I am not one of them. I am the reader, the psychiatrist that has diagnosed them with this lunacy.

My father, the biggest lunatic of us all, is a proud man. He is the typical guy, who expects too much from his children, like any average brown father, then gets disappointed and blames us for it. He is the richest man in the country, who owns the biggest fashion brand in all of Asia. It's the oldest too. The business was started by my forefathers in the late nineteenth century. It wasn't much of a company back then, just a shop, but our family grew in wealth by the favor of the British rule. My father has told this story at every occasion he could find. It's annoying now.

The next lunatic is my mother. I love her, she is a strong and brilliant woman who raised us all but she is too calculative. She treats family dinners like business meetings, making time for us all by writing it in her schedule. She is a big investor in my father's company. She holds the same shares as him. She is a good business strategist. She is strict but she has a kind heart. Kinder than my father atleast. She was the princess of Jaipur. Well she still is, her brother is king now. Her father had arranged her marriage to my father and they've been together since. They did not find love in it. They are two people driven by ambitions and appearances, living together and.....compromising.

The third is my brother. Vidyut Malhotra. When I went to be a psychiatrist and refused to take responsibility of business, my father accepted it, well not really, he still wants me to drop everything and take care of his business after him, but he went with my decision because he expected his other son to take over. But he apparently became a bigger disappointment in his eyes. His words not mine. My brother is a photographer. And honestly, he is good at it. Or he won't be setting up his pictures in galleries and making millions. But those millions aren't worth shit to my father. My brother also has an obsession with cats. The first thing he did after he got his first paycheck was adopt two cats. He apparently used the paycheck to show an income so he could adopt them, as if we had financial issues before.

The last but not the least, the final lunatic is my little sister. Veera. My parents expected another son and chose to name him Veer but then she was born and so they added another letter to it. That's a crap story Vidyut made to annoy Veera and now the girl hates her name. She was the only daughter my parents had so they pampered her like hell. So much so that Vidyut and I used to stand in the corner and glare at the little girl who our parents paid so much attention to. All that should've made her a brat, and it did to some extent. She does throw away money but she enjoys her life the other way. She is a tough nut to crack. My sister is a final year university student. She is getting her degree in music. My sister loves anything with a tune. And she loves drama. Just so she could sit back and enjoy it while sipping her champagne.

And now all four of these lunatics are smiling from ear to ear, looking at me. More like my wife. That's not good. Her poor soul would be traumatized among these psychopaths. Thank fuck, we leave tomorrow. We are welcomed into the house and after the unlimited rituals and games end, we are finally left alone to go to our room and rest. I enter my room to find her standing near the window.