Chapter 18

My head pounds like someone is drilling holes into it

My head pounds like someone is drilling holes into it. My body feels heavy, boulders weighing me down, pinning me to the bed. I have been awake for a while now. I've seen around the room, observing everything, trying to move out of the haze my mind has built. I don't know how long I lay there, doing nothing but looking around my bedroom in my parents house.

Until the sun rises. And not just in the world but in my life too. My wife runs into the room and stops when she sees me. Her eyes filled with disbelief but content too. How long have I been in this condition? My throat is parched, my tongue feels like sandpaper as I open my mouth to speak.

"My love?"

She doesn't answer, just stares at me from afar. That's not good. I need her close. She is my anchor. I move my fingers, which feels like lifting heavy rocks. I lift my forearms after much deliberation and her trance breaks as her eyes fall to it. She runs forward to clutch my arm and her other palm comes up to my cheek.

There it is. The comfort, so much better.

"You're awake." She breathes the words out it takes a minute for me to process it. "You're finally awake. Ten months husband, I've waited everyday, just for this moment."

10 months? Oh for fucks sake.

"Water." She pulls away from me and bring a glass in my face within a flash. She helps me sit up on the bed and calls the doctor as I drink the water.

"The doctor would be here soon. Everyone is going to be so happy seeing you awake and fine. Veera, Vidyut, mom." Her words ring a few bells. The haze clears out and I remember the accident and everything else that only I know. "Dad?" I ask her but seeing the light dim in her eyes makes me wish I hadn't. "He died a day after your accident. It was a heart attack."

Ahem! I bet it was.

The one thing I know now is that the man who tried to have my wife and child killed is dead. Great. Don't really care. But I know alot more too. He wasn't the only one.

"Everyone is going to be here soon. I'll call them. And I'll bring Shaira."

"Shaira?" We didn't think of a name. But if this is it, then we couldn't have thought of it better. My wife nods.

"Half you and half me." I smile. Despite of the task it seems to be. "We have a daughter?"

"We have a daughter." Footsteps come from the hallway just as the voice reaches my ears.

"Amaira? Shaira is up, she-" my brother stops speaking when he looks at me. His hair bedridden and clothes wrinkled but he still looks the same man that he was all those months ago. He blinks and turns to my wife. "She is up. Do you wanna feed her or should I use formula?"

Amaira shakes her head. "I'll feed her." She leans forward to kiss my cheek, gets up and leaves. Vidyut walks in very slowly. His feet drag against the floor until he finally settles down on the edge of the bed. "I thought you hated children." He cracks a smile at my words.