Chapter 10

Life has a way of fucking up

Life has a way of fucking up. And it was fine until it was about me. Now it's gotten to my wife. I watch her sleep, but unlike the other times, her face isn't peaceful. A slight frown has found its residence on her beautiful face. Her hand clutches mine. She has no intention of letting it go. Nor do I want her to. Sleep isn't even on my mind as I rub my thumb over her forehead to ease her frown.

My fingers push through her curls, scratching her scalp. Her lips part slightly and a soft sigh escapes her. My gaze flicks over her face, lingering slightly longer on her closed eyelids. She claims to have seen a ghost. Lady Patricia's ghost. As a psychiatrist, I have to say her mind is playing tricks on her. That the betrayal her grandfather put her through has given her such a shock that she hallucinated a ghost.

But she wasn't close to her grandfather. She has known all her life what a snake he is and what he is capable of. So whatever that man has done along with my father might have hurt her but it wouldn't have shocked her. Not enough to start seeing ghosts. Which brings me to the other option. She actually saw her. That lady Patricia's ghost still roam the walls of this house.

I wait until I am sure she won't wake up. I move out of our room and into the dimly lit hallway. I pull out a cigarette and light it. I promised to give my shame cigarettes up, and I haven't touched one since the day I promised Amaira, but no one can quit this easily. I hope she forgives me for this one. The smoke around me blurs the surroundings for a second until they clear again.

My lips tilt up. As I live and breathe. So my wife wasn't hallucinating. My ghosty great grandmother is actually still roaming around. She runs behind the pillar but I see her hand scratch it lightly before she dissappears.

I keep standing there. Smoking the red cherry, waiting for the ghost to grow some balls and step out. Can't believe I doubted my wife for a second. Ofcourse she saw the ghost. I had seen lady Patricia in the castle way before I knew what was to come of it.

Twelve year old me, roamed around the castle at every chance I got. My mother had warned me off a particular door. We only came to the castle on particular occasions. Such as summer vacations. And I've always been curious of that one forbidden door. My mother seems to know something about it. But she doesn't talk much of it.

I was just back from a horse ride when my curiosity got the best of me. I looked around before trying to open the door. It didn't budge but I tried harder. When it finally did open, I saw her. There was a woman sitting on the window sill silently. Her eyes were closed and the sun shone brightly on her face. She was pale. Not at all normal and had a sheen layer of light around her.

She turned her face to me and her eyes sparkled. She looked happy to see me. Her smile made me believe it. Until a drop of blood dripped down her eye and terrified me so much I screamed for the world to hear me.

After the incident the door was asked to remain shut. My father wasn't home and still doesn't know of it, but my mother did. She told me lady Patricia's story then. Over the years I started to believe it wasn't really a ghost. But you can't keep a living person locked in a castle for this long.