87. End of a Dream

-Y/N POV-

-flashback-
-1 week before the rescue expedition and map incident-
-Scouts HQ-
-inside the training room-
-11pm-

I swung down towards the 2m training dummy with my blade, hoping to get a clean cut with it - but ended up missing and getting the blade stuck halfway through the neck. I watched in dissatisfaction at the length of steel which was firmly wedged into wooden part of the dummy; my intended target being the softer material on the nape of the dummy. Attempting to pull the blade out of the wood, I amounted to no success.

It was late at night, so my movements were getting sluggish and tired. After under-performing in close quarter-titan combat training today, I concluded that I had started getting a little cocky with my skills so needed to improve. It's much easier to slice a nape whilst travelling at full speed with ODM gear, but when you're enclosed in a tight room it becomes a lot more difficult. To make things worse, Levi set us a practical exam tomorrow and if we failed he would temporarily substitute us out of his squad for one of the promising Scout recruits.

I tried wiggling the blade out again, but I failed miserably.

"Shit," I muttered under my breath. I had already snapped a blade earlier in the day, so I really did not want to humiliate myself and go to Eld again to explain how I snapped another blade in training.

Suddenly, I heard someone open the door behind me.

Who could it be at this time? Everyone should be asleep at this time.

"Oh, hey Y/N," a familiar voice came from the door.

"Petra?" I called out, as the petite red-hair appeared out of the darkness into the dimly lit training room.  Like me, she had her Scout uniform on.

"What you up to this late? You should be asleep..." She yawned.

"Um- well I was training and-"

"-Blade got stuck?" She cut me off.

"Mhm..."

She walked over to the dummy and saw the wedged blade. Gently, she held the blunt part of the blade closest to the handle with her other hand wrapped around the grip. Swiftly, she twisted the blade out of dummy without breaking a sweat.

"I- uhm- thank you Petra,"

"Hehe, no problem. Sometimes you just need a bit of technique," she giggled. "So anyway - you haven't answered my question yet. Why are you up this late?

"Well... I wasn't to pleased with how I performed today in training so I thought to come here in preparation for tomorrows..."

"What's happening tomorrow?" She asked.

"Captain Levi is giving us a practical exam..." I sighed, rolling my eyes.

"Ah- I see... is it the close quarters titan combat exam?"

"Mhm..."

"Wow, he really is a mood-killer. I feel for you, Y/N. Hope it goes well though,"

"Thanks. All I need is just a bit of luck tomorrow and it will be fine. Just gotta hope I don't flinch before I strike the nape. One swift movement should do it..."