Ch 19: I'm More Than Brave

Mumbo would be lying if he said he remembered that the server meeting was coming up. After Grian reminded him, he spent the rest of the day pacing in his base. He kicked himself slightly that he forgot in the first place but also now he had less time to decide if he wanted to take a big step. But was that something he really wanted? Telling Horn Gang had gone much better than he thought. But who's to say that the server meeting would be the same or worse?

Mumbo groaned and rubbed his face. It had been a long day and to end it on such an odd note didn't feel right. After all the success he had earlier flying with Grian felt dampened now that the annual server meeting hung over his head. Reluctantly he got ready for the night and crawled into his nest, trying his best to relax as he fell asleep.

-----------

Mumbo took a breath as he walked into Keralis' starter base cabin, the place had been set up for the annual meeting with a long table and an exact amount of chairs for every hermit. The base was alive with chatter as most of the hermits had already shown up. Some had taken their seats while others were grouped up and chatting amongst themself. Mumbo fiddled with his sleeves as he stepped into the room and took a seat, his tail twitching nervously. His ears and tail were out in the open for everyone to see, it made his stomach turn slightly with nerves but there was no going back now. He had already decided earlier when he left his base to make his way here. Dread coiled in the bovine's stomach as a couple of hermits started to glance at him in confusion, Impulse who stood near him seemed to take a particular interest in the bovine's appearance.

"Mumbo? Why are you dressed up like a cow?" Impulse asked with a confused look. The rest of the hermits seemed to have the same question as all eyes turned to focus on him. It was eerie how fast everyone's conversations ended and moved on to focus on Mumbo instead. It felt like they were staring into his soul.

"Um, because I'm a cow hybrid," Mumbo hesitantly answered and shrank in his seat. Why was everyone suddenly so interested in staring at him? It was making him incredibly uncomfortable.

"What?!" Impulse shouted in surprise and suddenly the room erupted in outrage making Mumbo jump.

"You've been a cow hybrid this entire time!" A hermit shouted and the bovine's breath caught in his throat.

"You lied to us!" Another hermit added and Mumbo's heart pounded in his ears.

Furious faces surrounded him and continued to shout, getting louder and louder, until Xisuma shouted above everyone and settled them down. Tremors wracked Mumbo's body as he sat glued in his seat, the other hermits grumbled to themselves as everyone took a seat and uncomfortable silence filled the room. The admin glared at him briefly, making him hold his breath and nervously stare back in muted shock.

"What is all this commotion about?" X growled as he glanced at every hermit at the table.

"Mumbo lied to us X. He's been a cow hybrid this entire time and neglected to tell us," Joe spoke up to answer the admin, and some affirmative hums echoed his sentiment.

"He has to go, we can't allow him to be on this server anymore!" Another hermit piped up and tears sprung to Mumbo's eyes. His worst nightmare was coming true, he was done for. His whole plan was burning right in front of his eyes as other hermits piped up in their agreement.

The admin looked at Mumbo critically, "Is every hermit in agreement with this decision?" X asked coldly and watched as every hermit at the table raised their hands to indicate their agreement. The bovine watched them in horror, too petrified to speak as his heart broke seeing each hand raised to make a unanimous vote.

"Then it's decided. Mumbo, you are no longer a hermit. You will have until tomorrow evening to gather your things and leave the server," Xisuma said, his face void of any emotions as the bovine felt his heart stop.