Chapter Thirty Eight: Sensitive Issue

I looked at the baby and my eyes filled with tears, my hand shakily rested on the incubator and I tried to smile by it hurt. I couldn't smile because I knew it wouldn't be real. The pain in my stomach grew bigger and tighter. My baby lay fighting for her life with tubes and wires sticking out of her weak and defenceless body and couldn't do anything about it. Ben held my shaky hand and kissed my forehead before whispering "She is so strong and beautiful just like her mummy!" His cheeks glistened with snail trails down his cheeks from his tears of which were falling into my hair.

Moments passed when my phone rang- it was Moffat! "No! The meeting!" I said panicking, trying to reach for my phone but before I could, Ben had already answered the phone. "Steven, just the man!" Ben said whilst placing me in bed carefully, before curling up with me.

"Benedict? Where's Claud? She was meant to be here over three hours ago." Steven said concerned.

"She, she's in hospital." Ben said stroking my cheek as I laid in a lot of pain.

"Hospital? Why? Is the baby okay?"

"The baby's okay. She's beautiful in fact." Ben smiled "Just like her mummy"

"Claud had the baby?"

"Yes. She's tiny!"

"Congratulations! How's Claud?"

"Claud, she hurts- a lot- we had to take her in because she had severe abdominal pain and it ended up being her appendix"

"Appendix? Did they burst?"

"Yes. That's why they had to get the baby out. The poison could have killed them both." Ben said slowly gazing into my eyes as I played with his fingers whilst I watched Baby sleep.

"Is Claud okay now though?"

"Yes, very, very tender but she's fine."

You could feel Moffat smile a smile of relief. "Will it be okay if Mark & I pop up to see you three?"

I nodded to Ben hearing the conversation and Ben smiled "Of course! Could you ask Martin to come too please and Mands?"

"Of course, Benedict! I'll do it straight away." Moffat smiled down the phone but as he did on the rare occasion, the doctor came over and shook his head to signal for the phone to be put away.

"Steven, I've got to go. The doctors here, so I'll see you soon." Ben said holding my hand still nodding at me whilst trying to ease his phone away from his ear.

"Okay, we will come as soon as we can. Bye" he replied before hanging up.

"Miss Digby," the Doctor started looking at his paper work with a look on his face that I had never seen before. I've seen many faces pulled by doctors but this one, well this one was the most nerve-racking face I've ever seen. Ben saw my eyes fill with both fear and pain as I attempted to sit up to see what the doctor had to say. Ben looked at me and shook his head, whilst placing his hand on my shoulder slowly stopping me from sitting up. "Miss Digby?!" He snapped glaring at me as I hadn't previously replied. I looked at him and managed to say "Yes?" He looked at me and tut'ed before stating what he really wanted to say "Miss Digby, we need to talk in private. This is a very sensitive issue." The doctor looked at Ben and then at me, smirking slightly looking at his papers. Ben looked at him oddly but nodded. As he placed his lips upon my forehead he kissed me for a long time but softly. He arose of the bed and left the room after telling me everything was going to be okay. But the thing was, was everything going to be okay?