65. Days Later

As I'm sitting at the desk, I hear Sam gasp making me look over at him. "Another nightmare?"

"No... this time was different."

"How," I ask, standing up and walking over to the bed, sitting next to him.

"I had this like... dream, and I saw this woman... she was trapped in this house," he admits.

"Really?"

"Yeah. I think they're in danger."

"What if it wasn't a dream? What if it was more of a vision?"

"Like an apparition?"

"Maybe. Do you know where the house was?"

"No, but I distinctly remember this tree in front of the house," he says.

"Okay. Um... in the morning, draw the tree out and see if you can remember where you've seen it from?"

"Why not now?"

"You need to sleep."

"So do you," he points out.

"Sam--"

"I'm not sleeping unless you do," he shakes his head. I sigh, nodding.

"Fine." He slips under the covers, and I do too. I plant a kiss on his lips, speaking. "It's gonna be okay. We're gonna get through this."

"As long as I have you, I know we will." I smile weakly, before turning my back to him. He wraps his arm around my waist, and I close my eyes.

*the next morning*

"All right. I've been cruising some websites. Think I found a few candidates for our next gig," Dean says, sipping his coffee. "A fishing trawler found off the coast of Cali. Its crew vanished. And we got some cattle mutilations in West Texas," he continues, looking at Sam. "Hey!" Sam looks up at him. "Am I boring you with this hunting-evil stuff?"

"No, I'm listening. Keep going," he answers.

"And here a Sacramento man shot himself in the head... three times," Dean says, trying to get Sam's attention. "Any of these blowing up your skirt, pal?"

"Wait, I've seen this," Sam mutters to me.

"Seen what," Dean asks.

"You figured it out," I ask, as he hops off the bed.

"Figured out what," Dean questions. Sam rushes over to the bag and grabs his dad's journal. "What are you doing?" He lies it on the bed, searching through it. He pulls out a picture of them in front of their childhood house, looking at me.

"It's the same tree," I say.

"Dean, I know where we have to go next," Sam says.

"Where?"

"Back home. Back to Kansas."

"Okay, random. Where'd that come from," Dean scoffs.

"All right, um... this photo was taken in front of our old house, right," Sam asks, showing him the picture. "The house where Mom died?"

"Yeah."

"And it didn't burn down, not completely. They rebuilt it, right?"

"I guess so, yeah. What the hell are you talking about?"

"Okay, look, this is gonna sound crazy, but the people who live in our old house, I think they might be in danger," he admits.

"Why would you think that?"

"Uh... just, um... Look, just-- you got to trust me on this, okay?"

"Hey, whoa, whoa, whoa. Trust you?"

"Yeah."

"Come on, man, that's weak. You gotta give me a little bit more than that," Dean scoffs.

"I can't really explain it is all."

"Well, tough. I'm not going anywhere until you do," Dean says. Sam sighs, looking at me. I nod.

"I have these nightmares."

"I've noticed."

"And sometimes they come true," he admits.

"Come again?"

"Look, Dean... I dreamt about Jessica's death for days before it happened," he sighs.

"Sane people have weird dreams, man. I'm sure it's just a coincidence."

"No, I dreamt about the blood dripping, her on the ceiling, the fire, everything, and I didn't do anything about it 'cause I didn't believe it. And now I'm dreaming about that tree, about our house, and about some woman inside screaming for help. I mean, that's where it all started. This has to mean something, right?"

"I don't know."

"You don't know? What do you mean you don't know, Dean? This woman might be in danger. I mean, this might even be the thing that killed Mom and Jessica."

"All right, just slow down, would you?"

"I mean, first you're telling me that you've got the shining... and then you tell me that I've gotta go back home, especially when..."

"When what?"

"When I swore to myself that I would never go back there." 

I sigh, standing up and walking over to him. "Look, Dean, I know how hard this is for you, I do. But we have to check this out. Just to be sure. It's not gonna be easy for anyone, but if there's even a slight chance that woman, that family might need help, we have to be there," I say. He slowly looks up from the floor and at me.

"I know we do."