81.

*the next day*

"Any word," I ask Sam.

"Nothing. Something's wrong," Sam admits.

"Hey, our bus came in," Meg says. Sam shakes his head, shoving his phone into his pocket.

"You better catch it. We got to go."

"Go where?"

"Burkitsville." We start to walk toward the door but she speaks.

"Sam... wait."

"I've been trying to call my brother for the last three hours. I'm just getting his voicemail."

"Maybe his phone is turned off."

"No, that's not like him. Meg, I think he might be in trouble."

"What kind of trouble?"

"I can't really explain right now. I'm sorry. Look, I don't want you to miss your bus."

"But I don't understand. You're running back to your brother? The guy you ran away from? Why-- because he won't pick up his phone? Sam... come with me to California."

Did she seriously just say that right in front of me?

I scoff, butting in. "Look, Meg, I know his brother too, and I've tried calling him dozens of times. It goes to voicemail. Something's wrong, okay? We've gotta go," I say, glaring at her. I grab Sam's hand, dragging him out the door.

"That was kind of harsh, you know."

"Sam, she was asking you to leave with her," I point out.

"She was asking both of us," he says. I scoff, shaking my head.

"No, she wasn't. She was asking you. I knew there was something off about her."

"I still think you're wrong."

"Well, I think you're too trusting," I state. "How are we gonna get to Dean?"

"Uh...," he thinks, looking around. "A car?"

"We don't have a car," I point out.

"Exactly."

*that night*

"Oh, my God. Oh, my God," I hear a girl gasp as we approach them.

"Dean," Sam questions.

"Oh! Oh, I take everything back I said," Dean says. "I'm so happy to see you two. Come on." Sam unties Dean, and I untie the other girl. "How did you get here?"

"We, uh... stole a car," Sam admits.

"That's my brother and best friend," Dean laughs. "Keep an eye on that scarecrow. It could come alive any minute."

"What scarecrow," I ask. Dean jumps up, turning around.

"Ah, crap."

~ ~ ~

We run through the woods when Sam speaks. "Now, this sacred tree you're talking about."

"It's the source of its power."

"So let's find it and burn it," I say.

"In the morning. Let's just shag ass before leatherface shows up," Dean says.

We halt to a stop when we see a man pointing a gun at us.

That must be one of the weird townspeople Dean told us about.

"This way," Dean says whenever we see another one of them pointing a gun at us.

"We're surrounded," I sigh. I hear a distant growling.

"Please, let us go," Emily begs.

"It'll be over quickly. I promise," the man assures her.

"Please."

"Emily, you have to let him take you. You have to--," he starts when a sharp object is stabbed through his chest. The woman and Emily both scream, before he grabs the woman. Everyone starts to run off, as he sticks his object into the man's leg and drags him along.

"Come on, let's go," I say.

*the next day*

The bus pulls away, and I sigh. "You think she's gonna be alright," I ask.

"I hope so," Dean replies.

"And the rest of the townspeople-- they'll just get away with it," Sam questions.

"What will happen to the town will have to be punishment enough," he sighs as we walk toward the car. "So... can I drop you guys off somewhere?"

"No, I think you're stuck with us," Sam answers.

"What made you change your mind?"

"I didn't. I still want to find Dad. And you're still a pain in the ass. But Jess and Mom... they're both gone. Dad is god knows where. Me, you, and Cal-- we're all that's left," Sam sighs. "So, uh, if we're gonna see this through... we're gonna do it together."

"Hold me, Sam. That was beautiful," Dean jokes.

"You know, you should be kissing our asses. You were dead meat," I point out.

"Yeah, right. I had a plan. I'd have gotten out," he scoffs.

"Right."

"I call shotgun," I call out.

"Are you kidding me," Sam groans.

"Gotta be quicker next time, babe," I chuckle, kissing his cheek, before hopping into the passenger seat.