33. Stalker

AJ
The flight to Vegas was silent. Hotch and Rossi quietly talked at the front of the plane. Morgan had headphones on while he listened to whatever music he liked. JJ got some sleep. Emily read whatever book she had been keen on reading. As for me, I just stared out of the window of the jet, texting back and forth with Bailey, who was at the BAU office, helping Penelope take care of the twins.

The moment we landed in Vegas, we headed to the Sun City Summerlin police department, everyone saying hello to me.

"Nice to see you again, Parker." Chief Connor smiled as she hugged me.

"I'm here with the FBI's Behavioural Analysis Unit as a consultant. I had a relationship with the UnSub that we're looking for." I admitted, exhaling.

"Well, this was left for you. I think someone knew you were coming back." Chief Connor handed me an envelope.

"Do you know who left it?" I asked, confused.

"Nope. They came in, handed it to the deputy and left." Chief Connor shrugged her shoulders.

I walked to the conference room, being followed by the team.

"I- It's Spencer's handwriting." I bit my bottom lip, feeling the tears welling in my eyes.

"It's okay, AJ. If you don't want to read it, one of us can." Morgan sat down beside me.

"No. It's addressed to me. I should read it." I shook my head, ripping the envelope open.

I read the first few words and I tried not to cry.

"What does it say, AJ?" Emily asked, everyone sitting down at the table.

"I knew my crimes wouldn't keep you away for long. But flying all the way back to Quantico? That's a bit extreme, don't you think? Your home is quite nice, by the way. Everything is placed exactly how you like it. The real question is, when are you coming home? I'd love to see you, feel you again. Maybe you can tell me why you broke my heart. But, I guess you're more interested in bringing me in - making me pay for the horrible murders I committed. You and the team think you know why I did what I did. But you all have NO IDEA. Let me give you a little hint: My mother's death was the trigger, but what was my stressor? I think you know the answer. -S.R" I read the contents of the letter out loud, fighting the urge to cry.

"Well, we're definitely treating Reid like an UnSub now." JJ exhaled.

"Okay, so Diana's death was the thing that caused Reid to do all of this, but something to do with AJ, is the stressor." Rossi leaned back in his seat.

"Excuse me, Agent Hotchner? This was left outside, on the doorstep of the precinct." Chief Connor handed Hotch a small box with a white ribbon around it.

Untying the ribbon and opening the box, we were all greeted to the horrific stench that had been trapped inside the box. Hotch unravelled the cloth, which revealed a severed finger.

"Oh my god." I watched as Emily and JJ squirmed in their seats.

"This isn't the Spencer Reid we know." Morgan groaned in disgust.

"There's a note." I held my nose, using a now gloved up hand to reach into the box, pulling out the dirty note.

"All fingers - yours or others - should be pointing to you. YOU did this to me. YOU caused all of this. -S.R" I nearly vomited after reading the note, feeling even more terrified than I had before.

"AJ, you're going back to Quantico, where you and your children can be placed in protective custody." Hotch informed me.

"What? No! I need to be here, helping catch him!" I objected.

"AJ, he knows where you live and he isn't willing to back down. You're no longer safe and I will no longer allow you to consult on this case. I'm sorry, but you're heading back to Quantico tomorrow night." Hotch shook his head, clearly not wanting to debate the matter.

"Fine." I rolled my eyes, walking out of the conference room to get myself a cup of coffee.

"AJ, Hotch is just doing what he thinks is best. What you need to do right now, is focus on keeping yourself, Sophie and Archer safe." JJ and Emily walked up and comforted me, each of them giving me a hug.