Nineteen

Soft Christmas music filled the manor as the two finished wrapping the lights around the large evergreen tree. Gabby sighs as she stands back and marvels her work. She's never wrapped lights around a tree this large, but it didn't look so bad.

"It looks really good! Crooked, but good!" Tatsuya smiles, holding her waist. Gabby runs her fingers through his hair.

Even with the cheerful atmosphere, Gabby still wasn't satisfied. She was slightly irritated that Kuro chose to go on a date with Melody instead of decorating with her and Tatsu but he assured her it would all be worth it.

She didn't know what he meant, but she trusted his words. She checks her Apple Watch and notices it was nearly nine at night. They should have been back by now.

Her feelings have been growing stronger as the days go on and just yesterday she almost told him she loved him before he went off to work. She was smitten for the man and his kid-brother but she didn't mind it. She was happy with both of them and wanted to be with them.

"We might have to finish the rest without them." She begins, "Only your dad is tall enough to put the star up." She chuckles.

"Oh that reminds me!" He releases the woman and rushes over to the clear tote of ornaments and digs around the storage box. "Gotta find the star. He used to hold me up and let me put the star on."

"What changed?"

She watches him as he continues to search, "Melody got this big tree. He said it's too dangerous for him to stand on a ladder and hold me up."

She couldn't fault Kuro for that. "He cares about your safety. Maybe we should tell him to downsize." She giggles and Tatsuya pops up from the box, holding the bright gold and white star.

"Found it!" He cheers happily. Gabby claps as he comes over with the star and hands it to her. It was more than a cheap star that you got a normal start.

Eith was decorated with diamonds and topaz jewels. There were small mirrors on it and she guess those were used for reflecting the light to make it brighter. "Wow, this is really pretty."

"My...real mom picked it out. That's what dad says anyway." He informs her. Gabby turns to him, "Do you know anything about your mom? First hand?"

Tatsuya makes duck lips as he thinks about it, "I was only a baby, but I don't remember her a lot. She did read to me and she dressed me. She spent lots of time in her bedroom."

Sounds like the woman wasn't really active in his life. Gabby sighs. "Do you miss her?"

He shakes his head. "Not anymore." Hearing such a blunt and honest answer made her raise her eyebrow, "What changed?"

"You."

"Me?"

He nods. "I...don't know how to say it but...you are more like a mom than she was. I see kids at school with their moms and my real mom didn't do those things. Then my mom left me forever. It did hurt for a while, but I'm fine now."

"I don't think I could ever replace your real mom. I'm flatter that you think of me that way but..."

Tatsuya turns to her, looking up at her. His familiar medallion eyes gaze up at her and he smiles. "You like my dad right? Then you can be my mom."