Twenty

"Everyone. Out."

His voice was sharp. She still wasn't use to his demanding and a baritone voice. She felt Tatsuya's body tense as well and the two of them just stared at the shocked faces of the other family members.

When no one dare moved, Kuro releases his father with a shove and turns to face them, "I want everyone out. Now!" He repeated once more and then led to the family members to head toward the living room door.

The older Tatsuya only snicker's at his son before stepping around him, not passing the chance to shoulder shove him. Kuro's mother walks over to him. "Tetsuro..."

She reaches for his cheek and he shakes his head, gently pushing her hand away. She slowly takes her hand back and she nods sadly. She turns to Gabby, "Please help..." she mouths before following her husband out.

She nods at the request but she didn't know if he meant her too, so she shifts her body, now facing the exit of the kitchen. "Not you."

Her body stops and she turns back toward him, readjusting Tatsuya in her arms. The boy was pretty quiet and he only stares at the dining table. She couldn't tell what he was thinking, but she knows he must be confused.

As the family piles out, chatter barely waiting until the reached outside, Gabby looks to Melody who stood near the wall. She was quiet, keeping her expression glued on the floor.

"I said I wanted everyone out." He directed toward her and she looks up. "I live here—"

"Did I ask that? I only want Gabby and my son here." He explained to her and she huffs. She grabs her coat from the chair she sat at and makes her way to the door, slamming the door loudly behind her.

It was back to silence. Gabby could only hear the faint breathing from the boy she was holding. Kuro didn't make any noise, he just stood there, keeping his attention toward the wall.

She was honestly afraid to speak. Not that he was lash out on her, but that she wouldn't have the right words to tell him. She couldn't pinpoint what he needed to hear but she wants him to know she's there for him.

"Daddy..." Tatsuya's soft voice speaks up first. "It's okay..."

"Bud, it's not okay. I'm not—" The man cuts himself off, quickly punching the wall after. Gabby jump at the sound of his fist hitting the white brick accent.

Gabby places Tatsuya down onto the ground, "Hey, how about you get ready for your bath and I'll talk with him."

The identical boy looks at her and then back to his Kuro. He then nods and walks around her, making his way up the stairs. Gabby waits until she couldn't hear his footsteps anymore.

She walks around the table slowly, keeping her eye on him. "Let's sit down, okay?" She suggests, grabbing onto his hand. Her eyes fall and notice his knuckles were starting to bruise.

She gently rubs her thumb over the four purple blotches. Gabby pulls his hand along and surprisingly, he does follow. She leads him to the living room and she sits down on the couch.

The soft cushion feels good against her back and she sits criss cross, not letting go of his hand. Kuro then sits down after her and releases a heavy sigh.

"I don't even...know where to begin." He utters, wiping his hand over his face. "He's not...my son...but my brother?"

"Don't let that bother you. Tatsu...he sees you as his father. You're the only father he knows." She comforts, "I promise, you've been more of a father to him than...that man."

She goes to pat his arm but he suddenly moves. Thinking he was going to get up, she gets ready to stop him but he only leans over, laying his head in her lap.