Chapter 33

ISADORE • POV

Our final prom of the year was being held at a grand hotel, a half hour drive from the town that held our secondary school. Since it was the last time we'd spend all together as a year group, the teachers had gone all out, choosing a fancy, high end hotel with a grand ballroom to host our final night of festivities, ensuring we had the best opportunity to have a spectacular time.

Getting there had been easy enough since Dad had volunteered to drive Oliver, Aaron and I there and Jamar had promised to pick us up when we were ready to come home. I'd sat in the back of the car, smooshed in between Aaron and Oliver, per Aaron's request, even though the shotgun seat was empty after Maverick opted to stay at home.

I was holding Aaron's hand and trying to smother the nervousness stirring storming waves of anxiety and fear of the unknown inside my stomach.

He was excited, singing loudly along to the radio, typing away with inhuman speed on his phone as he contacted his other friends who were going to meet us there. He and Oliver conversed back and forth across my hunched form, enthusiastically guessing what the hotel would be like and what sorts of foods or photo booths would be available.

They even passed chapstick and tiny mirrors back and forth as they joked and laughed with enviable ease.

I couldn't help but shrink in on myself, my anxiety overwhelming my excitedness despite my enthusiasm earlier on in the day. I'd never been to prom before. Not the prom at the end of Year Eleven when technically we'd finished our mandatory schooling before joining Post Sixteen higher education. I hadn't even been to a much smaller scale school disco. I'd avoided the Halloween roller skater parties, the Christmas dances, and other such activities our school had organised for us.

I'd purposely run away from those sorts of supposedly entertaining events... the ones you'd attend with friends. I didn't have any friends at the time and the thought of standing in a corner, watching my peers running around, and having a great time with one another without considering my existence had been a nightmare for me, so I'd stayed away.

Nana had always prepared something equally as thrilling at home for us to do, in an effort to replace the feelings of disconnect and loneliness I'd always felt from classmates and other kids my age.

Yet now, as I attended my first ever school party, I had no experience to reassure me of what to expect, no previous memories of how to behave or what to do at a prom. Goodness, I didn't even know how to dance, other than the basic slow dances I'd done with Nana to our favourite old-time songs in the comfort and security of our living room.

I'd seen Aaron dance multiple times before, and all the fast-paced movements and shaking he'd done with his butt had been nothing like what I'd ever done with Nana. I was... terrified that I was going to stand out like a sore thumb and embarrass him.

Aaron leaned into me and squeezed my hand, as though sensing the sudden drop in my mood and when I looked to my left, he was peering at me with concern, beautiful dark brown eyes scanning my face. He looked absolutely stunning and I'd been unable to comprehend in my mind how a man as beautiful as him could be interested in mediocre, unexceptional me.

His face was perfect, skin clear with the lightest layer of makeup, adding a soft, warm glow. There was a dash of gold glitter across his eyelids, complementing his tawny brown skin tone and his shaven face was smooth and defined. His hair was perfectly curled, black ringlets falling like shiny springs across his forehead and all around his head.

Aaron's body was hugged sensually in the white shirt and corset he wore and I'd never seen anything like it. It was somehow both feminine and masculine, the black bodice with gold embroidery hugging the natural curves of his body, squeezing his waist and giving him a drool worthy silhouette.