Part 12

Sonic and Rouge were loading the last of the stuff they needed into the G.U.N airship, Shadow and Eggman were inside the ship helping the captain with any technical difficulties they might be having while Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Metal Sonic were watching from the sidelines. Eggman and Shadow came out of the airship and walked over to Sonic and Rouge, "Alright, everything's good to go, the ship will be ready to take off in about 5 minutes." Eggman announced, "Alright, sounds good to me." Sonic sighed, trying to hide his unease, going back to Earth was a nightmare come true but it was the only way to make sure he stayed safe from The President's wrath.

Sonic, Shadow and Rouge walked over to Tails, Knuckles and Amy while Eggman walked over to Metal Sonic. Sonic,  Shadow and Rouge each got a hug from Knuckles, Amy and Tails, each of them wishing the three of them good luck. "Be safe on your journey." Knuckles said to Rouge, "Thanks Knuckie, we'll do the best we can." Rouge replied, "Don't hesitate to call us if you need anything." Amy said to Shadow, "We will, thanks for your concern." Shadow replied, "Be careful Sonic, I hope things turn out okay for you." Tails said to Sonic, "I'll be careful little buddy, I promise." Sonic replied before looking over to Amy, "I trust you'll take good care of things for me while I'm gone Ames?" Sonic asked Amy, fiddling with the gold brooch that held his red shawl in place, "I'll make sure everyone will run smoothly." Amy assured the blue hedgehog. Meanwhile, Eggman was talking to Metal Sonic away from the main group, "You're in charge of things while I'm gone Metal, just keep Orbot and Cubot from blowing something up and make sure Heavy King doesn't get into my laboratory, okay?" Eggman said, "I won't let you down down doctor." Metal Sonic said, giving Eggman a little salute, Eggman grinned and patted Metal Sonic on the head, "Attaboy Metal, I trust you." Eggman said.

"The ship is ready to take off!" The captain of the G.U.N airship called out, everyone said their final goodbyes and boarded the airship.

*A few hours of flying later*

Rouge was in one of the bedrooms, sitting on her bed and looking out over the night sky through the port window in the bedroom, it had been afternoon when they left for Earth, now it was getting close to midnight. "Attention all passengers, the ship in beginning it's descent towards Earth, be prepared for touchdown." The monotone voice of the captain came up over the PA system.

Rouge got up from the bed and walked out of her room to find Sonic in the lounge of the airship, sliently looking out the small window port that overlooked the city below, Rouge walked over to Sonic and stood next to him, both of them wordlessly examining the city below. The city was actually quite beautiful at night, glittering like a sea of priceless diamonds in a dark cave, but it did little to comfort the bat tonight.

"How are you feeling big blue?" Rouge asked, Sonic let out a soft snicker but there was no joy in the sound. "A lot of things, worry, fear, paranoia." "I just want to get this done and over with." "I just want this nightmare to end." Rouge nodded silently, it seemed like yesterday that Sonic was running around Mobius, annoying Shadow, going on adventures with his friends without a care in the world. Looking at Sonic now, Rouge could see that he was a much different person now. Sonic seemed so tired, so serious, so grown-up, if someone wanted to compare the Sonic of the past and the Sonic standing before her, they would be forgiven for thinking they were two different people.

"It's starting to come to an end, we just have to push through this final hurdle." Rouge said softly, Sonic turning to look at Rouge, a wary smile tugging at his lips. "Attention passengers, the ship is starting its descent now, please grab your belongings and prepare to disembark." "Thank you." The monotone voice from the PA system stated, Sonic let out a deep sigh, stepped away from the window port and steeled himself for whatever might be waiting for him on the ground below.