Part 14

Sonic was running through Green Hill Zone late at night, sweat was dripping from his brow and his legs burned with exhaustion. He could see the silhouette of his house in the distance, just a few more minutes of running and he would be home, he would be safe. Behind him, he could hear the angry shouts and smell the gunpowder from behind him, if he stopping running for even a second, he would be caught and killed. He knew that.

Sonic finally reached his front door, he threw open the door, rushed inside the house and slammed the door behind him, locking the door as he ran into the house. Sonic was panting from his burning throat, his legs wobbly from running so far for so long, he didn't even know how he got into this situation, all he knew was that something started chasing him so he started running. It was just now that Sonic had realized that the house was completely dark, no lights were on and the house was also completely and utterly silent, almost scarily silent. Sonic slowly started walking through the house, using his hand to scale the wall and guide himself through the dark house.

Sonic kept slowly walking through the house, the house was still dark, the house was still completely quiet except for his own footsteps and creaks of the hardwood floor. "Tails?" "Amy?" "Anyone?" Sonic whispered out but there was no response which made Sonic even more uncomfortable than he already was. Sonic kept sneaking through the house until he reached the kitchen, Sonic could faintly see something laying on the ground, Sonic squinted through the darkness, stepping forward into the kitchen.

Sonic let out a surprised yelp as he slipped and almost fell over, once Sonic had steadied himself he looked down to see what he had slipped on. Sonic was confused to see a red liquid stained onto the bottom of his shoe, Sonic felt a chill run down his spine as he saw a trail of red lining the kitchen floor and red splattered the kitchen wall.

And then he saw Tails, and then Amy, laying face down in a pool of crimson, not moving an inch. Bullet holes smeared in red riddled both their bodies. Sonic started to tremble as tears pooled in his eyes, he dropped to his knees as strained whimpers escaped his throat. Sonic crawled over to Tails, giving the body a gentle shake to no response. "Tails...wake up, wake up please, I can't... I can't do this alone..." "Why, why wasn't it me?" Sonic murmured to himself, his voice shaky as lined with tear induced hiccups. Tails body was so cold, even if the two had spent hours playing in the snow he'd never felt anything as cold as Tails currently was right now.

He'd stepped in blood, he'd stepped in his friends blood.

Soft whispers and the sound of a gun being cocked from behind him made Sonic whip around, his vision blurry from tears. All Sonic could make out in front of him was the shine of steel, he found himself staring down the barrel of a gun.

*End of Nightmare*

"GAH!" Sonic shrieked as he shot up in bed, his body trembling and his eyes clouded with tears. Sonic was breathing in short frantic gasps, it took Sonic a few seconds to remember where he was, he was in the G.U.N protected hotel, in his hotel room, on Earth. Sonic wiped a cold sweat from his brow, backing up on the bed until his back smacked against the wooden backboard, Sonic wiped tears from his eyes with a trembling hand, slowly getting his breathing under control. "Fuck...c'mon Sonic, breathe...breathe..." "You're safe, you're safe, it's okay." Sonic thought to himself, even though he didn't believe it. Sonic slowly pulled himself out of bed, glancing over at the digital clock on his bedside table, "8:29 am" the digital dial stated. Sonic let out a yawn, stretching as he did. "I need to get ready for the day, I should start with a shower since I don't really want to leave the room right now." Sonic thought to himself as he walked over to the hotel rooms bathroom.

*About 10 minutes later*

Sonic had taken a hot shower, brushed his teeth and straightened out his blue quills but he still couldn't put the nightmare out of his mind, the bad dream stubbornly clinging to the outskirts of his mind. "I got lucky today, that nightmare wasn't too intense, they can always get worse." Sonic thought as he finished putting on the red shawl that Amy had given him when he caught a glimpse of the city below, the city, much like him, was just waking up. Cars and buses were starting to fill the roads and people were starting to pour into the sidewalk, people going for a morning run or morning bike ride, people getting into their cars and calling taxis to get to work. The sun seemed to be hiding from the world, peeking out from behind the skyscrapers, anyone else would think it was beautiful. And it was beautiful, Sonic had to admit that, but when he looked down at the city, he didn't find it inviting or fun, in the past he saw Earth as one giant adventure for him to explore, now it just made him scared. On Earth, anything could happen to him, anyone could hurt him and there was a chance no one would care.