Chapter Nineteen: Two Kinds Of Hearts

"Please tell me that's not a real heart." I plead. "Please please please tell me that's not a real heart."

"Well.... about that..." Kuni starts but trails off.

I press my fingers to my forehead.

"So. Care to elaborate?" I ask.

"No." Kuni says.

"Fuck you." I say.

"Yes. Would you like to try again?" Kuni asks.

"Please elaborate, my beautiful darling precious future husband. Please grace my humble self with the knowledge of why your perfect being is in possession of a human heart? Please, my beloved handsome love of my life?" I tease.

Kuni's face turns deep red as I fire teasing compliments at him.

"Hmm... Keep going..." Kuni says, clearly playing along.

"I'm aware I don't deserve such invaluable knowledge from such a smart, elegant, and all around perfect being such as you, but I really desire this answer." I say.

Kuni smiles.

"Okay, you can stop with the sarcasm now." He says.

"What sarcasm?" I ask innocently.

He's so damn cute when he's flustered, I can't help myself in teasing him.

"Okay, okay fine, I'll tell you, just please stop." Kuni says with a laugh.

"Did I inflate your ego too much? Oops." I hum, putting a finger to my lip.

"Don't worry, it's not real. It just looks real. It's a prop mother used to use to scare people into obeying her." Kuni admits.

"Damn, the more I hear about your mother, the more I fucking hate her." I say with a grimace. "I hope you're at least feeling better now."

Kuni smiles and places a kiss on my cheek.

"You make everything better, and that's just a fact. Let's take this box back to where we were before, I don't want to stay here any longer." He says.

"That's a bit of a problem." I say.

"Why?" Kuni asks.

"You can't hear that?" I ask. "It's a fucking hurricane out there."

Kuni stops to listen, and I guess he finally hears the torrents of rain crashing onto the roof since his eyes widen.

"I myself am definitely going to have to wait here until it stops or at least slows down. It's a two hour walk back if not more, and I don't have any covering. I'd be lucky if I didn't freeze to death." I say. "But you can go if you want."

"What part of I'm not leaving you alone ever again do you not understand? Where you go, I go, and where you stay, I stay. Besides, being alone here would be both scary and boring." Kuni says.

"I dunno, any mysterious place that's been abandoned for years is a fucking gold mine adjacent to me." I say.

"You're such a weirdo." Kuni mutters.

"But I'm your weirdo. So you're staying with me?" I ask.

Kuni nods.

"As long as we don't go into the far west building, I'll be fine. I was never allowed to be anywhere but there when I lived here, so I don't have any trauma attached to these buildings. Explore anywhere but there as you wish. Also, this isn't a Beauty and the Beast situation. There ain't no enchanted rose in the west wing." He says.

"Cool. Well...can I at least take a tiny peek into the west building? Just for work purposes? I won't go in, I'll just open the door a crack and shine my phone flashlight in." I say.