It's okay to be Sad

Sitting on his bed, Kageyama was quietly staring down at a pitch black feather within his hands. It felt good inside his hands as he twirled it, deep in thought.

Seeing the village's lanterns brought something up within him that he couldn't quite place, but it did ruin his mood quite a bit. Hinata had taken the fall with Natsu- and had silenced her from blabbering out her meeting up with Tsukishima for a filling of her favorite candied fruit.
And now, Hinata was away getting said candied fruit ready for his sister.

"Tobio, you seem sad."
Kageyama looked up to see Hinata's mother perched in front of him, watching him with the same eyes his mother used to look at him with. It only made him feel worse.
"...I miss home."
The woman slid off of the branch and moved next to Kageyama, soft wing gently wrapping around him like a cushioned blanket.
"I know we're not exactly like your family but... I hope that we can ease the pain just a little bit."
Kageyama sighed, fumbling with his feather. The woman let out a soft chuckle.
"It's Shouyou's, isn't it?"
"Mhm."

"Shouyou really likes you, Tobio. You're being a good friend to him and... I hope you'll continue to be as close."
She pulled Kageyama gently in with her wing, placing a soft kiss onto his forehead.
"Anything specific you would like for dinner?"
"Did the elders go hunting today?"
"Yes. I can make you something nice with our good catch."
Kageyama gave a small nod, only now starting to smile a little. He could feel his stomach growling just a little bit, and Hinata's move moved to stand up again.
"I'll let you know when dinner's ready- don't be late, Tobio. The elders felled a deer."

With the gentle woman leaving the house, Kageyama was once again alone with his thoughts and yet, it didn't take long for someone else to fly in. Hinata immediately put up a smile as he saw Kageyama.
"Hey there."
He plopped down right next to Kageyama, wing immediately wrapping around him.
"...I'm sorry, I just... am not feeling all to well."
"Stomachache? You did eat mom's spicy dishes yesterday, even with my warning."
"It's not that, boke. I... don't wanna talk about it."

Hinata paused for a moment.
"... It's okay. Come here."
He gently pulled Kageyama with his wing closer, and slowly pressed the mildly protesting setter down so he'd rest his head on Hinata's lap.
"There there, not protesting. You're sad and I don't like it. It's okay to feel sad- but I can do something about it."
And with that, Hinata started to run his hands through Kageyama's black hair, softly moving out knots and untangling it. The boy found himself slowly rid of any protest.

Hinata was right, this did feel pretty good.

Kageyama closed his eyes, just letting it happen at this point. Hinata's gentle hands felt almost relieving on his scalp. Slow tears began to roll down Kageyama's cheeks and for a moment, he was just waiting for Hinata to say something.
But Hinata didn't.
He just kept on running his hands through his hair, and Kageyama felt relieved. It was the first time in a long time he had allowed himself to cry without trying to force back the tears.
Hinata said it's okay.
And for some reason, Kageyama knew, this time it was okay.

"...Thanks..." he mumbled after a while, only for Hinata's lips to curl up into a smile.
"Anytime."

Both laid in silence for another few minutes, before Kageyama started tensing again. Hinata grew a little worried.
"Kageyama...? Are you okay? It's fine to be sad."
Kageyama slowly sat up, eying Hinata's face and those big trusting hazel eyes. It didn't quite ring a bell for the bird on what exactly it was that kept him so occupied until he felt a pair of chapped lips on his own.
"...Thanks..." Kageyama mumbled against his lips, and Hinata immediately turned bright red.
"...Anytime..." he breathed back, closing his eyes and just enjoying the feeling.
Well he hadn't quite expected that but Hinata couldn't exactly claim he hadn't been looking forward to this.

Kageyama was the first one to pull away, gently nestling his head into Hinata's neck. Said one wrapped his wings once more around the boy, hiding him away on his lap.
"Kageyama...?"
"S-shut up..."
They were close enough to hear each others heartbeats.
Hinata found he did not exactly want to let go.
Kageyama seemed oddly fine with it.

***

"Y-you're kinda quiet, Tsukki."
Tsukishima just gave a small shrug, continuing on his path to school. He usually took a different one but this time, for some reason and much to Yamaguchi's surprise, he had insisted on taking the same route Kageyama would usually take to school.
"You could listen to music."
"You're not listening to music, Tsukki."
The blonde rolled his eyes, Yamaguchi was oddly persistent today. And asking way too many questions.

"And? Can't I enjoy some peace and quiet without someone pestering me?"
"Gomen Tsukki... You're just acting different than usual."
Tsukishima breathed out a sigh. Of course Yamaguchi would know him best and also know that something had happened. God beware he would actually let him know about those spirits.
Looking up into the sky, the blonde almost smiled a little.

Imagine being free like this, imagine being able to call the skies your home.

"Azumane-san?"
Asahi was surprised. Tsukishima of all people, approaching him? And he had seemed to make the extra effort to slip away from Yamaguchi, too.
"Yes?"
Tsukishima paused, pushing up his glasses.
"How old does your spirit look like?"
Asahi immediately choked on his water, coughing heavily. What the fuck.
Did Tsukishima know?
HOW did Tsukishima know?!
Asahi frowned. Did Sugawara...?

"I'll cut to the chase, nobody told me. I can almost see what you're thinking displayed all over your face."
Asahi almost breathed out loud in relief.
"I've just... let's say accidentally stumbled over a toddler with wings."
The ace paused. Toddler? Maybe one of Nishinoya's siblings? Or just one of their village.
"...he looks about the same age as me. Just... his body is smaller and his wings are bigger."

Tsukishima tried to hide a small smirk but failed.
"Tsukishima...?"
"Oh, don't mind me. Just finding it amusing how a bunch of old people are terrified of a different lifeform."
He let out a soft, cocky laugh.
"I'll let you in on some good information. Kageyama's alive, and he's with them. Little kid spilled a bunch of things."
"Kageyama's alive...?!" Asahi mouthed, only to straighten up immediately as coach Ukai came along to greet them.

Tsukishima quietly vanished into the group and back to Yamaguchi once more while Asahi remained just as shocked as before.

Kageyama is alive... and he's with them.