A Fish out of Water

Author's Note: Just under 5,000 words this time. Not much to say other than I can't help but put references in these stories. There are at least a couple for you to find!

Happy reading!

Mornings at the Shiba House were definitely something to behold.

Alexander normally got out of the others' way as they went about their morning routines. Mia attempted to cook, Kevin was being harassed for his meal planning, and Alexander was having none of it.

He stalked through the common room, snatched up a bagel, and fled out the door before anyone could ask him to stay. Alexander yawned as he paced the perimeter of the compound, trying to figure out the Dino Thunder monsters' mindset.

There were four more invisiportal incidents in the past week, and Alexander was rapidly running out of excuses as to why he appeared at the House late, bloody, and bruised.

Only Mia had seemed to notice, though, and she had been threatening to follow him around until he was honest with her. Kira would be both proud of her and laughing at the situation.

Luckily, none of the monsters had caught the Samurais' radar, but that was only a matter of time. The lieutenants had been showing up with much more futuristic equipment than Alexander would've thought possible. Repeating energy blasters, armor specifically designed to negate his electrical powers, it was disturbing.

He hadn't deciphered the diary's explanation of 'lightning and blood,' and aside from cutting himself and bleeding on the disk while throwing blasts of electricity at it, he was at a loss.

Surely, it couldn't be that easy, right?

Alexander groaned as he took a deep breath. He'd taken another shot to the ribs during his escapades and was fairly certain most were bruised.

"Alex, you out here," Mia's voice reached his ears.

He tensed before answering, "Yeah, over here."

She ran over with a small amount of whatever concoction she'd created in her hands, "I thought you'd be hungry."

"No one wanted it, did they," He asked, scooping up whatever it was.

"No," She looked down.

He ate it quickly. If there was one thing he learned from his childhood, it was 'never pass up food.' Once his anosmia started, everything started tasting nearly the same, so it became a matter of texture as far as enjoying food.

"You know I'll always get rid of it," He put a hand on her head, making her smile brightly, "Come on, let's see what Mike's issue is with Kevin today."

The pair had barely passed through the door when the gap sensor began blaring.