Forest for the Trees

Author's Note: 4400 words! A return of one of my favorite characters as we get further into the season. And more references, since I can't help myself.

Happy reading!

"Alex, I've been wondering something for a while," Mia asked.

The pair were standing in the secluded training green on the outskirts of the Shiba House's property. He'd been coaching the girl in her swordplay, and she was helping him with his symbol power.

"Shoot," He answered.

"You remember when you used my power disk?"

He nodded.

"How," She asked, "I didn't think that was possible."

"Not a clue," He skirted, "Just thought it might work."

"Can I try one of your disks?"

"NO," Natsumi screamed in his mind, "My power disks aren't anything for anyone else to trifle with! The consequences could be fatal!"

"I...Don't think that's a good idea," Alexander responded, reeling from the sudden headache from Natsumi's protest.

"Why not? You used mine."

"And you've seen the stress these things put on my energy," Alexander locked eyes with her, "Trust me when I tell you that you don't want to experience it."

"Okay," Her cheery attitude didn't diminish in the slightest, "Thank you for showing me this. I can't wait to show Emily!"

"Before you do, let's go again."

The Pink Ranger readied her sword and charged.

Alexander let a small smile split his face as he deflected Mia's blade before counterattacking. She'd asked him for help with her swordplay, and he couldn't say no.

She was definitely improving, able to keep up with him in short bursts, although she still had a couple of rough habits, she made them work.

Mia was smiling, too, happy that she was noticeably getting better at fighting and spending time with Alexander.

At this point, she couldn't deny the crush she had on the Shadow Ranger. At first, Mia was simply curious, and a little bit weary of him, but seeing him in the past few weeks...

"Where are you at," Alexander broke her out of her trance with a hand on her head, "Anyone in there?"

"Huh," She flushed when she realized he was basically petting her head, "I'm fine!"