Chapter Sixty-Eight

Summer break 2023

The chaotic impulsivity never left me, even as Pierre and I went public. I stayed myself and focused on him and me, announcing that Monaco was my last race with the team the day after we went public. By the following race weekend, I was granted an all access press pass to the paddock and was able to go wherever I wanted, naturally I still spent a lot of time with Alpha Tauri but I enjoyed the flexibility of being able to sit in the Alpine garage and watch Pierre race, happy to be there before and after his sessions in the car and I knew he and the wider team were delighted to have me as well. Even Jem was alright when she saw us together, no longer bothering him or me, very much moving into the background which was a relief to both of us.

There was a lot of craze at first over my leaving Alpha Tauri but fans soon chilled out and were soon used to the two of us being together, although no one knew that we were engaged...that was still for us as we just focused on me setting up my new company which was a bit more flexible on my work and also Pierre's racing which was going so well that he sat above Russell and Sainz in the table - much better than he should have been given the disparity between all their cars.

We went on dates...even a few events at this point although I always avoided whatever cameras or red carpet was around, opting to just meet him in whichever event it was that we were attending. But it was all pretty sweet - getting us into different movie premiers or fashion shows and I couldn't lie...while I wasn't a fan of the cameras, I was crazy about the clothes and the opportunities - it was awesome and I had even managed to get a photoshoot lined up with British Vogue from a conversation I'd had with someone at the Louis Vuitton fashion show in Paris in June.

"Are we crazy?" I ask him as I tilt my head to the side and look at Pierre as we're stood at the edge of a boat even bigger than the last one, hand in hand in a situation that feels very familiar but also very different. We're surrounded by the people we love and a heavenly golden light from the sun setting on the edge of the world is hitting the side of our faces. It just makes Pierre look that much more handsome and the moment that much more perfect.

"Definitely but as long as I have you, I don't ever want to be sane," Pierre says with a truthful grin in the form of a promise and I smile at the words, agreeing wholeheartedly as I look at the captain who is currently stood next to us. The sun is setting over the Mediterranean Sea and the boat day that we were enjoying with all our family and friends had taken a rather large turn. We weren't just on one boat, but spread over three rather large ones that we had been swimming between and playing with all day in the middle of the ocean and now, everyone was crammed onto the top decks of each of the boats, looking at Pierre and I with smiles on their faces and plenty with tears on their cheeks. Even Lisa and Toby were here by some miracle with their son Luke, with my dad and gran on this boat with Pierre's immediate family and me. Other friends and wider family on the other boats made me realise the perfect opportunity forty minutes ago.

I saw the sun beginning to go down and the most perfect day in the world was ending I had turned to Pierre with a crazy idea. "Marry me now?" I ask him and watch as he double takes at the words and frowns at me. We'd begun planning the wedding last month and I was quickly realising that I had less than zero interest in a wedding. I didn't care about that, I just wanted to be married to Pierre to spend the rest of my life with him.

"I-what?" He asks as he turns to look at me from where we're lounging on a sofa at the top of the boat.

"Marry me now? What more could we want? Everyone that we need to be here... is here right now, today! What is the point in waiting and planning to just have all these same people here again...I'm even wearing a white bikini - it couldn't be more perfect!" I tell him excitedly as I bounce out of my seat and tug on his hand lightly. I watch as he looks around a little confused at the setting around us before looking back at me, his eyes shining brightly at my words and he nods as a smile grows wider over his face, a look I recognised - one that lit me on fire and made the butterflies soar in my stomach because everything just seemed to slot perfectly into place as he looked at me and everything was so perfect I wanted to cry and never leave this moment.