Not long enough

The Stranger cover photo is drawn by Ayulshhii!

This chapter is a collaborative writing with Ayulshhii.

~

Anyway, where the hell did that stupid pirate go? Would Omori have to search all of Headspace to find that egoistic hack?

"Check it out!"

Kel plucked a plastic fish decoration off the wall. "It's one of those talking fish things."

"Does it work?" Aubrey skipped over excitedly to take a closer look, and Hero followed, intrigued.

Omori had no interest in useless gadgets like that. However, a hatch on the floor next to them piqued his interest.

As his friends continued to mess with the stupid toy, he walked closer to the hatch to investigate.

"I think it may need batteries," Hero observed as Kel pressed the 'on' button with increasing aggression.

"I have batteries!" Aubrey snatched the fish from Kel and flipped it over, searching for the battery compartment.

Omori crouched down over the hatch.

There's no handle.

Omori tried to pry open the hatch with his knife, but it wouldn't budge.

Aubrey popped in the batteries Pinkbeard gave them and set the fish back on the wall.

A cheery tune played through the igloo.

Omori felt a nerve bulge in his forehead.

You guys...

"Stop messing with that thing, and help me open this!" Omori snarled.

"Sorry..." Aubrey mumbled.

His friends obediently moved to his side to examine the hatch.

The talking fish's music ended, and the hatch popped open.

"Woah!" Kel blinked. "Did the talking fish do that?"

"Maybe it was like one of those secret lever things!" Aubrey exclaimed as Omori began to lower himself down the hatch.

"It doesn't matter what it was," Omori growled. His patience with his friends was running out. "Come on."

Climbing down the hatch revealed another unoccupied room, a summoning circle scribbled in the middle of the floor.

Hissing in frustration, Omori was about to turn back when the circle started glowing.

His friends jumped in surprise.

"I-Is it supposed to do that?" Kel stuttered.

"I... think we may have activated something..." Hero said nervously.

The circle glowed brighter.

"Omori... shouldn't we go now?" Aubrey grabbed onto his arm, but he shrugged her off.

"Wait," Omori narrowed his eyes. He wanted to see what would happen.

Everyone winced and covered their faces as the circle let out a blinding flash of light.

"My eyes!" Kel yelped dramatically.

A few moments passed as they all stood there in stunned silence, waiting for the light to die down.

When it finally did, Omori tentatively reopened his eyes, preparing himself for something bizarre, absurd, or even frightening to meet his sight.

...A couple of cold lanterns looked back at him.