New Party Member

"You...You want me to be your healer?"

Crouching on the floor next to his potted tulip, Basil gazed up at Omori with glowing eyes. He held a watering can, still gently pouring water into the pot.

Omori opened his mouth, hesitating. The pleasant tranquility of the garden did little to dull his seething rage at Hero's behavior.

He had needed to do some probing to find Basil. Kel and Aubrey scoured the garden outside while Omori searched the Royal Royal's tower, dragging Stranger along. The shadow wandered the room, particularly drawn to the sunflowers by the vine-framed window. The chain connected him to Omori and kept him from going too far, like a dog on a leash. The realization of that was more satisfying than Omori thought it should be.

"If you wouldn't mind. We could use an extra set of hands to help with the shadow invasion," Omori said with a smile, his gaze wandering over Basil's well-maintained plants in the room.

Basil's tower was practically an at-home greenhouse. All it was missing was some butterflies fluttering around. Omori made a mental note to add them later.

Basil set his watering can down, rising to his feet. His eyes flicked to Stranger, lingering a moment too long before turning to Omori with a hint of concern. "Oh, well... I mean, if you want me to...but what about Mari? I usually help her with work...will she be okay without me? What if she gets lonely?"

"She'll–"

"She'll have Hero. Since he's going to be spending so much more time at the castle," Stranger answered for him, a stupid smirk pulling at his lips. He touched the petal of a sunflower. "You know this flower's roots are rotting? It needs better drainage."

Basil let out a small squeak, rushing to see for himself. "I thought the sand I mixed with the soil was enough– W-Wait," He looked up from where he started worrying over the flower, eyes darting between Omori and Stranger. "Why is Hero going to be at the castle more? I thought..."

"Don't pay any mind to what my servant says, Basil. I fail to see why he presumes to speak out of turn in the presence of Royalty." Omori fixed Stranger with a hard glare. The shade returned it with an eye roll. "Hero...is going to be required at the castle more for...other duties. Which is why a new healer is needed."

Who did Stranger think he was? Saying that Basil had made any sort of mistake with his plants was— Not just speaking out of turn but then criticizing the work of royalty! He was begging to be punished. Basil put more care into his flowers than anything. What would Stranger even know about plants?

How would roots starting to rot happen anyway? Flowers were easy to take care of in Headspace, instantly reviving from death with just a bit of water. But as Omori eyed the wilting sunflower, he couldn't shake the feeling that one more drop of moisture would drown it.

He thought back to the dying sea plants, the way trees in Vast Forest were dropping brown foliage far from the candy-teal they were supposed to be.

No...it can't be spreading to the castle yet.

This was simply...one rare occurrence. Overwatering. It'll be healthy and yellow again soon.

"What if it's not?"

Omori stiffened momentarily. Involuntarily. An effervescent jolt climbed up his spine. Stranger had sneaked up on him just to whisper that in his ear. Damnit! Why did he keep doing that!?

"Oh, uhm...okay!" Basil said, snapping Omori out of his thoughts. "If you say so. I'm not sure if I'll be good at any of the...fighting stuff, but I'll try to be helpful." Basil gave him a honeyed smile, something that should have been the perfect amount of sweetness but felt a bit too cloying. Omori dismissed the feeling.