**Chapter 22**

"What was that," I whispered. My heart started beating faster with every passing second.

"I don't know. Stay here and I'll go check it out." I looked at him like he was crazy. No way in hell was he going alone.

"Ummm... Hell no. You're not going alone."

"Brandi, please. If someone's down there-" There was another loud bang. This time it sounded closer.

"You're not going alone," I argued. I know I was being stubborn, but what if this person attacks him?

He sighed. "Fine, but you have to stay behind me. Deal?"

"Deal." Before we walked over to the door, I tiptoed over to my closet and grabbed my softball bat and light saber. Yes, I am a nerd when it comes to Star Wars.

"Really? A light saber?" Chandler looked at me with amusement evident in his eyes. I looked at him like he was on crack.

"Yes! Light sabers are fucking awesome. You're just jealous you don't have one." I stuck my tongue out at him childishly.

"Whatever. Let's go see what the noise was." I nodded and followed him out of the door. He poked his head around the corner, then gestured for me to follow him. As we were going down the stairs, there was another loud bang. It sounded like it came from the kitchen.

We tiptoed down the stairs and over to the kitchen door quietly. I pushed my ear against the door and heard shuffling and mumbling. Chandler did the same.

After listening for a few more seconds, we decided to surprise the intruder. I went over to the other entryway to the kitchen and looked over to Chandler. He counted to three with his fingers, then we swung the doors open, surprising... my mother?