Chapter 10: "Remember"

"I...don't understand." RJ looked up, "You're saying that I grew up, and went to college?"

"Yes." Rose replied, "And more than anything, we need you back. I think you're the only one who can stop Mr. Ember. I don't know how he did it, but he has your power."

"And you have it too. He may have weakened you, but you can't completely steal power. It's a part of you." Rex stated.

"Well, I'll...learn how to use it! If it'll save mom!"

"Well, kiddo. You're still too small to fight him. Maybe if you remember, the spell with break, but you're not...making any progress. Not even with Rose here."

RJ glanced at Rose again, and she quickly looked away. She looked like she wanted to cry. As if she couldn't bear seeing him like that.

"I'm sorry." He apologized.
"No, don't be sorry. I know it's hard. Especially since that guy made sure your spell was stronger."

"How are we going to do this though? We need a plan. He is still has Marie, and needs to be stopped." Emmet spoke up.

Rex paced the room nervously, knowing that Emmet was right. They needed to help RJ remember, while also finding a way to save her without harming her.

"I wish I knew more, but I wasn't there when everything happened." Rose paused, "But...I think I know someone who could've been."

"Who?"
"Ryder."

Rex perked up, "Yeah, he had to be. Son, can you go get Ryder for us?"

"Uh huh."

RJ ran off to his room, while Rose continued speaking.

"I wish Marie was here. She was there at the college when everything happened."

"And everyone else was here in Syspocalypstar. Including myself." Rex stated.

"You know...Harry was always with RJ too, but he wasn't at the college. I never ran into him."

"Maybe he's back home then. On Melody." Rex realized, "If you think he can help, we can travel there. It's actually not too far."

Rose nodded, "Yeah. I think that's our best bet. They sometimes say that there's no love, like the love between friends. Harry just seemed so much closer. He might have better luck."

After a few more seconds, RJ returned with Ryder, who was still grown up. That gave Rose some hope.

"Hey, Ryder." She pet him, "Do you remember me?"

He took a moment to examine her, but eventually nodded his head. He turned to RJ, roaring quietly.

"Huh? I helped her?" RJ questioned.

"You must remember when he saved me from bullies, but do you remember college? You were in the stables, and then I..."

She reached into her coat pocket, and pulled out the pendant her mother had given her. It glowed through the darkness.

"This stayed with me. Mr. Ember must have overlooked it. Do you remember this? I gave this to you, so that you could stay with RJ."

Ryder leaned towards the glowing crystal, as the light reflected in his eyes.

He started to remember, in small parts at first, he remembered the rest when he looked at RJ.

That's right. He wasn't so little anymore.

He chirped happily to Rose, and pointed his snout at the pendant.

"Oh, you want it? Sure. Um...Mr. Dangervest, we might need to borrow some clothes from you. If you have any that fit Ryder."