Act 2 Chapter 6: "Dimensional Travel"

After a few more hours of waiting for the device to be completed, Rex and RJ once again entered the Syspocalypstar Research Facility.

Now, the device was done, and they had everything that they needed. Their journey would begin within the next few minutes, and admittedly they were nervous.

The weather outside had suddenly become cloudy, and dark, giving the kingdom an entirely new vibe. As if it knew something was amiss.

As if it knew that danger was fast approaching.

The facility was hectic, and loud from the many people working so hard. It added to the stressful atmosphere, and the pressure to do everything right.

The Father and Son duo once again walked through the hallway, and reached Mason's office. The two stood outside the door for a while, before the Defender turned his head.

He saw the stressed expression on his son's face, and touched his shoulder. RJ had more than enough to worry about, but he never really showed his worry.

He was strong, but the fear of failure was clearly bothering him. He felt a a lot of pressure to be a hero once again.

Being the defender of an entire universe was more difficult that he thought. Rex finally spoke up.

"You sure you're ready, Kiddo? If you're going to change your mind, now would be the time."

"I'm not changing my mind, Dad, and you're not going alone. I want to be with you." RJ replied.

"You've been with me nearly every day of your life, and you're still not tired of me. I consider that an accomplishment."

Rex playfully ruffled his son's hair, before looking towards the door again. The Prince chuckled.

"All you ask is that I stay safe, right?"
"Yeah. That's all."

The two finally opened the door to the office, and stepped inside. Mason was standing at his desk, and already waiting for them.

He smiled at them, and held up the completed device. It was exactly as he described, lined in metal material, and an enchanted power beacon in the center.

"Is this what you're looking for?"

RJ smiled, and ran up to his grandfather, hugging him tightly. "You're the best, Grandpa!"

"I couldn't have done it without you. Rex."
"Yeah?" The Defender approached him.

Mason handed him the device, and made sure he had a firm grasp on it. "There are a few things I have to say about this, so please, listen carefully."

"Okay. Just tell us what we need to know."

"I'm sure this Surge and your...other son worked on this device a thousand times over, but we did not have that kind of time."

"Right...we get our device, but what's the catch?"

"We calculated it to a location range, but you might have to travel a bit until you get to your destined dimension. You and RJ might also be separated in the process. Even timelines may be different. No matter what, find each other, then travel to the next."

"Right." Rex replied, "I understand. It won't be easy, a part of being a hero is the struggle, but it's better than doing nothing at all."

"And my daughter? She's not going with you?"

"Marie is staying behind to watch Marex. Someone has to. You can always call her if you need anything."

Mason nodded, "I hope she's not too worried about you. She loves you more than anything."