ONE

She just stared at it from where she tucked herself into her headboard. Moving as far away as if it might burn her. As if it was a virus, waiting to infect her. Her throat was dry as her wide eyes ran over the piece of parchment that had been dropped onto her sheets not too long ago, glaring at it. Secretly hoping it'd just disappear and vanish from her sight.

She wanted nothing to do with whatever's inside.

Sweat was prickling in the back of her neck and she ran an anxious hand over her face as her heart hammered aggressively inside her chest. She was terrified of its contents. Because she knew it meant change and she wasn't ready for that.

Not yet. Perhaps not ever.

She heard the fast stomping of footsteps hurrying towards her door and she didn't even have to look up to see who it was when the door burst open. Her brother barged into her room, frantically waving the identical letter in front of him, panting back and forth "What the fuck is this? What the fuck are they playing at?"

She shrugged, her eyes yet not leaving the stupid letter. The Hogwarts crest were staring back at her. Mocking her. Taunting her. Smirking at her, knowing she had no out of this. And she still hadn't even opened it.

But Draco had.

He stopped in front of her bed, not noticing her mindless state, clearing his throat mockingly as he read out the letter "we are pleased to inform you that you are required to return to Hogwarts for your seventh year- Are you hearing this? Required! I am not fucking required to anything. Term begins September 1st. Tomorrow! We look forward to having you back at our school. Bull. Fucking. Shit"

Leilani was half listening as Draco rambled on and on, cursing McGonagall's name, saying what she really was thinking but was tired to say. She half noticed him starting to pace again, dragging his hands through his hair, before he suddenly stopped, taking her in.

He sighed and dropped the letter next to her own. Walking beside her to where she sat on the bed, staring at the now two letters, he gave her a gentle shove with his hand to get her to move. Then he sat himself down next to her and they both stared at the letters in silence together.

He reeked of alcohol. But so did she. And neither of them acknowledged it.

She then snorted, eyes still locked on the same spot "We're both starting seventh year. Funny" Leilani was one year younger than her older brother and he always bragged about it- but now thinking they're starting the same year? It was kind of ironic.

He huffed "Shut it"

Then she realized something, turning to her brother and looking away from the letter for the first time in fifteen minutes "How are they sending you back to school if you don't have your wand?"

He propped his head up on his arms behind him, giving a nonchalant shoulder "Apparently I'm getting it back once I've arrived. Mcgonagall's supposed to give it to me. But it's still monitored" he added bitterly.

"Oh" she said, turning back to the letters. "Does mother know?"

"Probably" He breathed and she heard the scratchy sound his throat made at the action. Probably because of all the cigarettes he smokes. "There is nothing mother doesn't know about"

And just as he said that, the door opened and in stepped their mother, looking at them in both worry. She hurries to the bed, casts one glance at the letters before snatching them into her hand and throwing them into the fire pit, muttering under her breath "Foolish. What are they thinking? I'd always thought Mcgonagall held a bright mind, but apparently i was wrong"