The Wall

2 Years and 5 days -In the Glade-

"(Y/n), the greenie says he's ready to go to the wall," Justin says from the doorway "Justin, why are you telling me?" I ask him annoyed not looking up from the list I'd been making of supplies. "Go find Alby, he's the one who handles that clunk," I respond knowing Alby cares much more about that sentimental BS. "He's in the shower, something about helping the slopper," Justin says and I look up to see the greenie behind him. I hand the list to Justin with a stern glare "Finish inventory, and I'll be back checking," I tell him as I exit waving the greenie along.

"Let's go greenie, burning daylight," I tell him, and he follows behind me without question. The greenie is tall towering over me, but I am not intimidated. In the last two years, I've fought with two separate gladers, the first time I lost, and the second I killed. I swore after the first no boy would beat me again, and being the only girl put a big target on my back. When we get to the wall I pull out my knife and hand it to him. "After this, you won't be a greenie anymore. Now you're a glader, and I expect you to understand what that means," I tell him as he grabs the knife.

"I understand, Alby told me the rules during the tour," he tells me almost sounding annoyed that I bring them up. As he goes to begin I stop him "The rules are the only thing holding us together. Without them, we're just a bunch of scared teenagers, now you've missed all the real fun greenie. Since you think you know what it means to be a glader let me enlighten you. Alby's little spill is a delight compared to mine. We've been here two years there are twenty people here. Do the math," I tell him, and his dark bold brows furrow at my words.

"Without the rules, people die, so being a glader doesn't just mean following the rules. It means staying alive," I tell him and I can tell he's sobered by my words. Once I think he's gotten the picture I let him go back to carving his name into the wall. I watch him as he does, and I'm shocked at the name he leaves carved into the stone. 'Gally' I look at him as he hands me my knife and I have to push away the stunned expression "Welcome home, Gally," I tell him before I hurry away.

I hide away in what's considered the homestead, I go to my room inside and let my hand graze the first notebook I got here. I flip it open and see the words still scrawled across the page '(Y/n) I love you- Gally' I don't know how to feel or what to think at these words or the revelation of finding the boy who wrote them. "You gonna tell 'em?" Alby asks from my doorway and I shake my head closing back the old book. 

"Too much drama for no reason," I tell him and Alby sighs "It might be good for you, and him," Alby says and I furrow my brows and cut a glare. "He doesn't need any more questions, and the boy who wrote those words doesn't exist anymore. Neither does the girl they were meant for," I tell him honestly. Alby smiles at me "You can trust someone other than me you know. The guys aren't all bad," Alby says and I roll my eyes "I trusted Stephen, and look where that got me," I retort and Alby's face darkens at the memory.

"Not everyone is like that (Y/n)," he tells me before leaving me alone with my thoughts once again.