Bitter, Sweet

2 Years 9 Months and 8 Days- In the Glade

It'd been a solid week since I'd given Gally the first journal and I was doing my best to avoid him. I felt enraged every time I thought about him reading that journal I remember that time vividly, but it isn't something I want everybody to read. 

'It'd been six months since I was put into the glade, and this morning one of our friends went into the maze out of curiosity last month. He learned the schedule of the maze and always gets back in time before the maze doors closed, his name is Gale. Today was different... Gale got back late and he was acting out when Alby and I asked him any questions. We tried our best to calm his erratic mood but it only seemed to make it worse. I tried hard to talk to him, I was worried, but Gale was shut down. He jumped on us, and thankfully the other boys witnessed and helped Alby and me get him off of us. But we couldn't get him to calm down, so we did something I never thought we'd do here in the glade. We killed him... Alby did it, I couldn't even watch. I felt sick for hours after the fact. I hope to never have to do that again...'

I found myself at the maze wall where every name was written. I let my hands run over Gale's crossed-out name "You good?" Gally asks and I move my hand away quickly. I spin around to look at him and furrow my brows "You shouldn't even know about this Gally," I tell him and he scoffs "What the hell happened to you?" He shouts at me and I glare at him "It's none of your business, but don't worry keep reading and I'm sure you'll figure it out," I tell him bitterness seeping into every word.

"You know what stay a bitter bitch," Gally tells me before storming off, I glare daggers at his retreating form and feel tears prick at the corners of my eyes. Gally is so naive, thinking nightmares and grievers are our only thing to fear. He didn't know Gale he didn't know me, he didn't know anything. If I didn't need him in fighting shape I'd make sure to make him pay for his little outburst, but throwing one of my two builders and only fighter into the pit wasn't a wise decision. I leave the wall of the glade and all it's ghost to join Frypan and the cooks.

"Fry, did you get your new ingredients?" I ask raising an eyebrow as I approach him "Yeah, Newt brought it over this morning. We're washing them now to go into tonight's dinner," he explains pointing toward where they're washing the vegetables. I nod and begin to walk around the kitchen "How's kitchen inventory?" I ask and Fry's shoulders seem to tense, and I furrow my brows, Fry is not afraid of me so why is he tense? "I think someone's been stealing the dessert rations," Fry tells me and I clench my jaw. "Show me," I order and he leads me into the small pantry, into nothing more than a shabby tent, but the gladers know not to mess with it. "I try to hide 'em in this crate here underneath a few things but lately the crates on top of it are in a different order than I left them," 

I move the crates off of the dessert crate and shuffle through the ingredients and single-packaged treats. "I'll find out who is doing it," I tell Fry and he nods "I've tried moving it," he says as if that's all I plan to do, and I lay my hand on his shoulder. "I said I'd handle it, let me handle it," I tell him and he nods. "Go back to cooking I'll be here. If Newt comes by tell him and Alby I'm here no one else. Got it?" I ask making sure he understands the importance of being discreet before he exits the pantry with a curt nod.